Light-O-Rama Forums

Cheap RGB Amplifier

EmmienLightFan

Would you get this? It seems too good to be true.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DC-12-12A-144W-SMD-3528-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Lights-Signal-Repeater-Amplifier-/141624786220?tfrom=351360991372&tpos=left&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

It looks exactly the same as another one I saw for 15x the price.

I've seen these around, but I haven't thought of an application where this would be cost effective when it basically does the same job as a Null Pixel.    You can simply avoid the need if you can put your controllers fairly close to the lights.

I've experimented with making a few null pixels which are nothing more than a single pixel from your string with a male waterproof connector on one side and a female connector on the other.  It just plugs in-line wherever you find you have trouble with corrupted/weak data due to long runs.  Pixels regenerate the signal anyway.  To overcome the added pixel, we use SanDevices which utilizes a set-up screen that allows you the opportunity to enter in how many Null Pixels you're using. Again the key here is if you have to put significant distance between your controller and lights.  The controller automatically discounts and ignores your Null Pixels so that your first lighted pixel matches the first one in your sequence set-up.

To me anyway, it seems cheaper, easier and more reliable (Water resistant) to just clip off a pixel, make it into a Null and put one every 20ft or so if your runs absolutely have to go that far.   

Correct me if I'm wrong but this product is for dumb Rgb products. It's supposed to simplify your power injection so you can insert this between your strips/nodes & extend further.

I've seen these around, but I haven't thought of an application where this would be cost effective when it basically does the same job as a Null Pixel.    You can simply avoid the need if you can put your controllers fairly close to the lights.

I've experimented with making a few null pixels which are nothing more than a single pixel from your string with a male waterproof connector on one side and a female connector on the other.  It just plugs in-line wherever you find you have trouble with corrupted/weak data due to long runs.  Pixels regenerate the signal anyway.  To overcome the added pixel, we use SanDevices which utilizes a set-up screen that allows you the opportunity to enter in how many Null Pixels you're using. Again the key here is if you have to put significant distance between your controller and lights.  The controller automatically discounts and ignores your Null Pixels so that your first lighted pixel matches the first one in your sequence set-up.

To me anyway, it seems cheaper, easier and more reliable (Water resistant) to just clip off a pixel, make it into a Null and put one every 20ft or so if your runs absolutely have to go that far.   

Not so much the same as a null pixel.  This is an RGB amplifier.  Meaning small amount of drive in to control a large load out.  It is not for data like the smart pixels use, it is for higher current drive capability for dump RGB LEDs. 

Yes. They are for dumb RGB.

I have accumulated lots of power supplies over time, and instead of buying one big one, I could use them on almost every string.