Light-O-Rama Forums

jumping in...

mojo_risin

I have been researching doing this on and off for several years and have been delayed each time by personal events. I think the time is finally right for me to be able to get into this game. I feel like I know absolutely nothing about it even though I have read multitudes. I am hoping it will all come together once I actually have my hands on it.

I plan to get a showtime starter kit at the mad grab sale and possibly a few other items. I thought I would check to see if anyone is upgrading this year to pixels or just has surplus items they are planning to unload this year that I might want to consider. I plan to use led string lights to start.This might allow me to pick up more items and have a better show to start Than i would otherwise have starting from scratch buying all new since budget isn't unlimited. I appreciate anyone willing to help out a newbie. I'm not trying to build best show in town (yet anyway), but just a 32 up to 64 channel show with a spiral tree or 2. Also considering floods, but not sure yet.

Also, any local lighters interested or willing to help guide me in any fashion would also be great.

Thanks,

Rory

Welcome to the madness Rory. I am not local to you but would be willing to help you over the phone. If you would like to give me a call this weekend I will help you.  507-236-5553      Dan

Welcome Rory.

Never hurts to start small.  With with basic hardware in hand and playing with the software, things become less muddy.

You do realize you match a controller type with the light types?

AC controller for 120v incandescent/led strings and rope light.

DC controllers for 12v dumb single color/RGB nodes, modules, strips, floods and rope light.

BTW..thoughts on used equipment, look at this current LOR thread.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35444-overpaying-for-used-equipment-is-nuts/

Thank you for the info! I thought i knew that about matching controllers, but suddenly find myself questioning it. I did know different controllers for 12v and 120v and that actually was why I thought people changing to pixels a have some equipment they may not need. Does that make sense or am I off there?

I had read that thread on used equip prices and appreciated it very much. That thread actually was the catalyst for my post. I've seen used equip for sale and haven't purchased anything due to the high prices versus new or if the price was right, my timing wasn't and someone else picked it up. Looks like it's all new for me, but that's probably better anyway.

I appreciate the feedback and look forward to being in the forums more. It's a neat community with a lot of very helpful and generous people.

Edited by mojo_risin

Welcome Mojo.  Just to share something that I've noticed; the spring mad grab that LoR puts on has prices that usually beat what most people charge for their used equipment.  There is also a summer sale that is not quite as good, but again usually beats individuals prices for used equipment.  My suggestion is to go all new.  If you are handy with electronics and soldering, you can save even more money by opting for the DIY controllers.  I did this with my first three controllers and they all work great.  Good luck!!!

Welcome to our world of flashy and blinky lights. I would suggest you download the software right away and start learning it. You don't need to wait for the controllers although the sale is tomorrow I think. When I elected to get into this hobby, I went in all the way with 96 channels my first year. The second year, I added a second megatree to balance out the yard and improve from the things I learned from the first year. Last year was my third year where I added a pixel tree and RGB windows, firesticks and some more props. It looked pretty nice and a lot of people came to see it. Picking your songs is important for the people viewing it plus adding in your own tastes. Some like progressive music, others the rap type songs and all the between. I happen to prefer the more traditional music but it was very obvious that the people sitting in their cars, came to hear the two frozen songs I did! Anyway, music selection is important.

There are quite a few of us reasonably close to you.

We meet up at Doug's house a couple times each year in Cleveland, TN. You just missed the spring session.

The fall session will be a great time for you to get some good ideas to help move you forward.

Also, in the meantime just keep posting questions here. This is a good forum with a lot of helpful tips.

I second dgrant... download the software and start using it when you can.  2014 was my first year and I forced myself to setup the visualizer and sequence 2 songs before I bought anything to to make sure I would like the sequencing aspect.  I did and then purchased my controllers and license during the summer sale. 

I would also recommend starting small.  I'm not sure what your time constraints are (kids, work, vacation, etc.) but doing the sequencing, building props, learning how everything works takes time.  I started with 32 channels and that was about perfect for year 1.  Some start with more (not to mention RGB, pixels, etc).  My head would have been spinning. Now that I've had a successful year 1 I'm adding 32 more channels plus a line of RGB snowflakes and maybe RGB floods. 

That being said, is really is addicting.  Good luck. 

After speaking with Dan and doing some more research, I definitely plan to buy new now. If I ever find a good deal, I would buy used, but those deals seem few and far between. I appreciate all the advice on that front.

My time constraints are heavy, but sleep less than I should and tend to get things done once the family is in bed. I think I've decided on 48 channels to start and that includes one controller dedicated to a spiral tree (or 2 by running extension cords between the 2). Other than that,I don't plan to have too many props my first year.

I like more traditional music myself, but also enjoy the light shows with modern music as well. I live in a rather close knit subdivision and on a cul-de-sac, so I can't have a show that would drive excessive traffic. Some is ok, but a lot could be an issue so I want to be respectful of that until I see how everyone feels about it as it builds.

I'll also have to switch entirely to LED lights from the mixture I have now made up of mostly incans. Power issues make that switch more immediate than I wish it had to be. Thanks for all the advice! This is all very helpful!

Edited by mojo_risin

Thanks, Mike! I saw that and hate I missed it, but my daughter had a health issue we were having to devote everything to at that time. I really hope I can make the fall meeting. That would be an enormous help I'm sure!

I have been researching doing this on and off for several years and have been delayed each time by personal events. I think the time is finally right for me to be able to get into this game. I feel like I know absolutely nothing about it even though I have read multitudes. I am hoping it will all come together once I actually have my hands on it.

I plan to get a showtime starter kit at the mad grab sale and possibly a few other items. I thought I would check to see if anyone is upgrading this year to pixels or just has surplus items they are planning to unload this year that I might want to consider. I plan to use led string lights to start.This might allow me to pick up more items and have a better show to start Than i would otherwise have starting from scratch buying all new since budget isn't unlimited. I appreciate anyone willing to help out a newbie. I'm not trying to build best show in town (yet anyway), but just a 32 up to 64 channel show with a spiral tree or 2. Also considering floods, but not sure yet.

Also, any local lighters interested or willing to help guide me in any fashion would also be great.

Thanks,

Rory

NO, NO NO.   RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL HAVE THE CHANCE.

In all seriousness there is very little that compares to the first time you stand in the street watching the lights doing what you told them to do.   

Always remember to have fun.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I got 48 channels to start now and a few other items in the mad grab.  Time to hunt down random deals on LED string lights, then time to make the doughnuts.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion! Getting some of those would save me a lot of time and fruitless efforts trying to find Tesla's lost notes for wireless power.

• The topic was locked