Light-O-Rama Forums

Use existing SuperStar sequences(S3) in S4

wmilkie

I have not downloaded the beta, but was wondering if the sequences that I created in SuperStar and exported will work in the new pixel editor? I only have 2 starbursts that run on a DMX, and also created those sequences in Superstar. Everything I have sequenced for my pixals (LOR Pixels) and ( LOR Dumb RGBs) and the HolidayCoro DMX starburst (Universe #! and #@) where sequenced in SuperStar. I really hope I don't have to start over. CAn anyone answer this?

Thanks

Good question

I'm in the same situation as you; used Superstar this last year for all my pixels.

I would hate to have to start over

Edited by wmilkie, Today, 08:33 AM.

SuperStar exports files that can then be played by the Sequence Editor to your lights. The Pixel Editor basically does the same thing, it produces files that can then be played by the Sequence Editor to your lights. SuperStar and the Pixel Editor each take different approaches to sequencing. Existing sequences created by SuperStar cannot be imported into the Pixel Editor. The Pixel Editor can produce a variety of patterns, but it wouldn't know what to do with the effect files that SuperStar produces.

I think what you are wanting is one product that can do everything SuperStar does and also do everything the Pixel Editor does and mix a match them at will. Currently that does not exist. We hope to integrate all the products more in the future. But for right now, the easiest approach is to either use SuperStar for a sequence or use the Pixel Editor for a sequence.

So, we can't take a superstar sequence, export it as an intensity file and load it in the sequence editor, is that correct?

Second part, when exporting a .sup file as an intensity file, that's how we play them? For example, each one of my sequences have 6 sequence files, one for each pixel tree and one each for 4 other groupsof pixels. When time comes for the show in November, will I have to have 6 intensity files plus a sequence for a 6 channel non RGB star?

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just trying to understand this. I haven't been doing any sequencing, just building my visualizer files.

Ron, thanks for clarifying my questions, I think this is important to know

As of now, I almost exclusively use SuperStar for my sequencing, so it seems it would be important to know if existing SS files can be used in S4;

I haven't had any time to play with S4 or the new pixel editor yet, so for right now I'm sticking with S3 and SS;

In the future I will change, but I would hate to have to redo everything

These are all good questions, I think I understand the questions better now.

S4 is backward compatible. Everything that played in S3 will play in S4 as well. In SuperStar you can still export in the "legacy" format that S3 uses. But you can also export sequences in the new format as "intensity data". This is the new format that will handle large numbers of pixels without lag. Currently, the sequence editor will support one intensity data file from SuperStar and one intensity data file from the Pixel Editor. It sounds like Ron Boyd sequences Props separately in SuperStar and so he has several sequences that have to be combined into one sequence. So it would be desirable for the Sequence Editor to support multiple intensity data files from SuperStar. There are plans to have the sequence editor be able to support multiple intensity data files from superstar, hopefully soon, but it's not my place to say when.

Ron, I have seen your visualization, and it looks to me like most everything is in there. So I thought you sequence them all together. If you sequence them all together, then you can export them as one "intensity data" file. Also, an "intensity data" file can have DMX lights and/or LOR lights in it. So you can put your non-RGB star channels in the same intensity data file with all your other stuff.

Nope, that's just the Bursts. I have Pixel Icicles for one, 2 different ones for 2 pixel trees, another one that contains my windows, candy canes and stars and such, and then another for the matrix. I don't think I could get everything into SS and still have any room for the visualizer portion.

As of right now, I do all sequencing in Superstar. I'm hoping to be able to do a few in the Pixel Editor. I still love the single pixel control I get with SS, but a few element based sequences could get me a few more sequences before show time in November.

I have thought this over and I do feel it is important to support the export of multiple intensity data files. The design for this is in progress.Either the Sequence Editor will be changed to support multiple intensity data files from superstar, or SuperStar will have a feature to allow combining multiple intensity data files into one data file.

• Like 1