Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 Pro update

NEWTOUR

I currently am running Basic plus S3 and I was not sure if I upgrade today to S4 and from Basic Plus to Advance, How long will the beta ru. I would want to go to Pro instead if it isn't more after paying for the advanced upgrade. Opinions and direct answers appreciated.

If you purchase an upgrade or renewal today, then your license will be valid for version 4.0 (and some future versions too) forever, not just during the beta period.

If you purchase an upgrade to Advanced, then during the beta period your license will act as if it were a Pro license.  The beta period lasts through June of 2015.

If you purchase an upgrade or renewal today, then your license will be valid for version 4.0 (and some future versions too) forever, not just during the beta period.

If you purchase an upgrade to Advanced, then during the beta period your license will act as if it were a Pro license.  The beta period lasts through June of 2015.

So how much will it cost to upgrade from advanced to Pro?

To get the pixel editor, that's a small price to pay. I know Nutcracker is free, but I tried for 2 years to get everything set up in it and never did. The pixel editor is the Nutcracker part that LOR bought last year, plus Matt Brown was brought in to work on it. I have to say, it is a breeze to set up controller #s and the visualizer. I haven't actually used it for editing yet but will soon. As soon as it goes live with the production software, LOR will have my $50 that day.

• Like 2

Yes the price is planned to be $50 to upgrade from Advanced to PRO.... We will have it for sale soon in the store. 

Dan

Well I guess this is gong to cost me about $120 for the upgrade now :( . Iam already commited to the pixels, so I guess it is what it is. I wish there wasn't always an additional price for everything. When you have the best you can charge what you want though. Just the PRICE you pay for the best show around!!!

• Like 1

Well I guess this is gong to cost me about $120 for the upgrade now :( . Iam already commited to the pixels, so I guess it is what it is. I wish there wasn't always an additional price for everything. When you have the best you can charge what you want though. Just the PRICE you pay for the best show around!!!

You get what you pay for, as they say.

You're paying for quality development that continues to advance in this marketplace.

I currently am running Basic plus S3 and I was not sure if I upgrade today to S4 and from Basic Plus to Advance, How long will the beta ru. I would want to go to Pro instead if it isn't more after paying for the advanced upgrade. Opinions and direct answers appreciated.

If your sig is correct and you only have 32 channels, maybe upgrading to S4 really isn't a rush issue for you. It is only going to get better and will still be there when your channel count warrants an upgrade. If you have/use Superstar maybe an upgrade to Superstar would be more fitting at this time. LOR made a generous Price Reduction and upgrade offer to Superstar a few months back. http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35054-price-reduction-for-superstar-licenses-and-free-upgrade/

Keep in mind people have been doing very nice shows using S3 for a long time.

Alan...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright this mite sound dumb, but where can I find this S4? and as a beta is it still available? for the pixels I plan on running it would be worth the $50. Thanks

If your sig is correct and you only have 32 channels, maybe upgrading to S4 really isn't a rush issue for you. It is only going to get better and will still be there when your channel count warrants an upgrade. If you have/use Superstar maybe an upgrade to Superstar would be more fitting at this time. LOR made a generous Price Reduction and upgrade offer to Superstar a few months back. http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35054-price-reduction-for-superstar-licenses-and-free-upgrade/

Keep in mind people have been doing very nice shows using S3 for a long time.

Alan...

I am upgrading this year to RGB so the new sequencing tool in the S4 will be well worthe the upgrade. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. The LOR comminity is also a great reason for me to use LOR.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my advanced software in August of last year.  It is telling me that I have to purchase a new license, less than a year later, when the beta period for S4 is over.  Kinda pricey to get less than a year out of it.

Edited by Dcroc

Bought my advanced software in August of last year.  It is telling me that I have to purchase a new license, less than a year later, when the beta period for S4 is over.  Kinda pricey to get less than a year out of it.

Your software is good for life.  You do not NEED to pay for an upgrade and/or renewal unless you want to move to the newer versions.  

If you purchased in August of last year, you are eligible for updates until August of this year.

You could always switch to Animated Lighting lol.

Pretty sure they haven't updated their software since before LEDs lol. But hey, no upgrade fees ;)

Just to add a little bit to what DevMike said here:

If you purchased in August of last year, you are eligible for updates until August of this year.

This includes upgrading to S4, so you shouldn't have to pay for it when the beta period expires.  However, your computer might not currently know that your license is good for S4, which would be why it mentioned upgrading and so forth.  This sort of thing could happen (in some cases) whenever a new version comes out; it's not really an S4-related thing. 

In this case (when you have a license that covers a new version that you've downloaded, but your computer doesn't seem to realize that), you can just go to the Sequence Editor's Help menu, and select "Register Light-O-Rama" (or "Upgrade Light-O-Rama").  That will open up the registration dialog, which (if you've previously activated your license on this computer) should already be filled out with your license info.  Click on the "Register" button, and that will cause your computer to get the updated information from our licensing server, so that it will now know your license is good for the current version.

Also, just to reiterate another important thing that DevMike said:

Your software is good for life.  You do not NEED to pay for an upgrade and/or renewal unless you want to move to the newer versions.

So for example if your license is good for up to version 3.8.*, then you can use version 3.8.* forever, without ever paying anything else.  And we keep our old versions' installers available for download, so if you move to a new computer, you can download (for example) version 3.8.2 from:

www1.lightorama.com/downloads/3.8.2/LOR-3.8.2.exe

And you can see a list of download links for the various old versions (plus their help files) in the "Past Versions of Software" section of our software download page.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone using the 4.0+ tried to increase the pixel count parameters in the annimation screen up to say 300 x 600? Was curious if you could do this without going to the visualizer. I changed the code in the config a couple years ago to numbers larger than the program would allow and it has really helped. This year I bumped in up to 300 high and 600 wide so that I can have room for all my pixels with RGB. This gives me 180,000 pixels to work with on the screen. Converting all my display items into the visualizer is much to slow and I would rather use the time to continue sequencing. Up to 24 Tracts and now and adding more every day.