Light-O-Rama Forums

Overpaying for Used Equipment is Nuts

mpageler

• 1 month later...

\http://www1.lightorama.com/warranties/

Here's LOR's warrenty page.  It states warrenty is for "1st end user". A little differently stated than what most companies state..."originial purchaser".

So buying hardware from another hobbyist is not covered under their stated warrenty.  Whether LOR looks the other way for warranty claims on used equipment, I don't know.  I know there is a opinion by some out there, that LOR will warranty anything that comes their way.

I am pretty sure LOR has a good record of who bought what.

As for warranty for the second owner, I don't think they should.

However, I do think they should charge the second owner for any repairs made to the defective unit.

If the second owner disagrees, maybe next time they will buy from LOR.

I believe the "1st end user" wording of the warranty is to protect people who purchase from a LOR partner/reseller. If the warranty for every unit began on the date that LOR fills/ships an order, the first end user would get royally shafted if they happen to buy from a LOR partner and receive a unit that the partner might have had in inventory for a few months.

I believe the "1st end user" wording of the warranty is to protect people who purchase from a LOR partner/reseller. If the warranty for every unit began on the date that LOR fills/ships an order, the first end user would get royally shafted if they happen to buy from a LOR partner and receive a unit that the partner might have had in inventory for a few months.

I don't know if it was put in there solely for that reason, but that is correct. When the business sells something to an end-user, they get the full LOR Warranty, regardless of how long I (the business) have had it in stock

As Don stated above. I bought my basic and first two controllers from Wowlightd, before I knew about LOR. After I found LOR, I have got 99 percent of my show through them. I need something fixed on one of my first controllers and LOR stood by it, even though I bought from WOWlights. Don't get me wrong, the people at WOWlights are really great to work with, and they stand by their products as well.

We will always repair our equipment, no matter who you purchased it from, new or used.  

If you ask us for a warranty repair, we will ask you for your order number.  If you don't have it we can look up your order by name/address/etc. Some times when we ask for the order number, the customer will tell us 'I purchased this from [insert partner name]'.  If we have to, we will contact the partner and see about the warranty.  If we can't find you, your SN, or Order Num doesn't jive, we just ask for more info.  We are very good at sorting out who is trying to cheat and who isn't.

Even if you purchased the unit 4th hand from a pawn shop, we will still always repair our stuff - you just may be charged up to $25/board for the repair (Normal controllers.  Cosmic color devices are higher).  Want a hint?  Don't lie.  If I catch you in a lie, I tell the shop to make sure they send a bill :).  If you are the second owner, just tell us.  Chances are the repair cost is going to be a whole lot cheaper than the shipping, that is if we remember to send the bill :D

You should also know that it is our choice to repair, replace, or even exchange in-warranty items.  If we have you in our system we have more flexibility.  If you purchased from a partner, you should contact the partner first - they may be able to offer you additional options that we can't.  You are technically their customer after all.

We don't care where/when you got the controller for our 'Unconditional Lifetime Replacement' policy.  We'll even give you 40% off our equipment if you send a comparable unit in from a competitor.   NO, a 'Mr. Christmas' or Gemmy unit is nothing like a 16 channel controller - no mater how many people try to tell us it is. Don't bother, better people than you have tried to convince us!  But for example if you send us an old Animated Lighting 16 channel or D-Lite 16 channel controller, we'll sell you a 16 channel for 60% of the list price.  1 for 1, and no you don't get your old equipment back.  We like to recycle our competitors products - usually with a shot gun or explosives (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtdXzBSVaU)

Always ask for an RMA via the help desk before sending ANY equipment to us.

• The topic was locked