Light-O-Rama Forums

I am just curious how many of us did lights before animation

Papa6058

Been doing lights for way too long.  Started with a little static display, then built a mega tree in the early 80's that had a home built custom 8050 processor that just sequenced through patterns on an eight bit port driving 8 triacs.  Added 4 wireframe trees a few years later that had red and green minis - did color changes in patterns.  Never saw much attention being paid to the display until the Carson Williams video hit - I did not know why cars were now stopping and watching the light flashing - they had been doing the same thing for 10 years now.  One of my friends linked me to the Carson video - the next year started in with 64 channels of LOR.  The mega tree and wireframes are still in my display today - the mega tree became a spiral tree in 2013 and this year I'm replacing the minis with LED's. 

"Relaxin' und watchin' das blinkinlights!"

I did static lights for 8 years. The last two years were with Mr. Christmas. The second year I burnt up two Mr Christmas within one season. I was looking for way to repair the Mr Christmas when I found LOR. I have never looked back. I have been phasing out all of my old incan  minis. I keep my blow molds to keep a part of my old display. I have replaced most of the lights in the blow mold to leds. I have not replaced all of my older incan lights but each year the number of incan lights go down.

Started with lights on the house.

Next year was the window.

Then those plastic balls on the evergreen.

Then had a yard full of blow ups.

X10 to turn lights off and on next year added a colour or 2.

Had some cheap controller for about 5 minutes (guess I exceeded the max power).

1999 All incandescent.

2005 Lights. Very humble, but the Christmas Cactus is there.

So John you were a mass***e too? Lol

Started out 40 years ago as a little kid helping my Grandpa put up the old school C-9 size glass bulbs.  Those were a P.I.T.A!!!  "Whoops!!  Gramps I think I stepped on one."  or just moving the strings around too hard and slap a few glass bulbs together was also a big NO NO!!!  He always had spares and never got mad when it happened....he was awesome. 

Then as a teenager I would decorate our house since my Dad wasn't to into it but my Mom always encouraged me.  Everywhere I've lived and even in the Navy while living in the barracks I would decorate with lights during Christmas....Thank you Gramps!

• The topic was locked