Light-O-Rama Forums

Foamboard as a mounting kit

godman

I was wondering if foamboard conducts electricity? I want to install my new controllers in the CG1500 cases I have and want to use a mounting board similar to the one below, I found foam board at Walmart for around $2.00. Figured I could take the Mounting boards I already have (just like the ones below) and make my own mounting boards?

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-CMB24D-Mounting-Kit-p/641-kit1.htm

I just don't want to fry anything  so that's why I'm asking,

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Not to sure about the foam board. But I use plexiglass/ acrylic and haven't had any problems.

Plus it's clear to help find the holes.

I general, I would think foamboard is an insulator, so it would not conduct electricity. Its not very rigid, so it you may have trouble supporting the board. 

I use plexigalss also, but the last few builds, I just screwed the boards directly into the CG1500 cases, just put a dab of silicone putty on the screws to make them water tight

Weather it conducts or does not conduct. Never mount a circuit board directly to a surface. You want some air space between the little wire [Foul Language Used] on the back side of the board and any kind of surface behind the board. Even if the surface is glass. If dirt / dust builds up on the surface. There is a chance that with some moisture as in high humidity. You could get enough current flowing between two points, to cause problems. Use some form of stand offs to keep the board off of any material you use as a back plane.

• Like 1

The foam board is actually very rigid, Yes Max Paul, I would use plastic spacers/washers when mounting to the board  :D

• 2 weeks later...

For the cost for doing just one box, I think it is worth it to just buy the board from H.C. " It was for me" I bought the GC1500 and the board, he had good prices.

I tried to use the plastic faced with foam core for a prop with lights a few years ago. What a mistake that was! Thank god I got through the season! The lights started to melt it. Its pretty cold also where I live.

LIVE AND LEARN!!!!!

FYI

The CG1500 cases have built in 1/4" plastic stand offs; 

If you are using a Sandevices E682, they will mount directly to the standoffs, makes it easy

• 5 months later...

I was about to use the Plexiglas/acrylic when I noticed an awful amount of static electricity from it. It was pulling my arm hair whenever I got near it. I went with the HC plate that I got merely as a template. Doesn't the stactic from the Plexiglas worry you when mounting your controllers to it?