Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for two things...

oilmoney

Has anyone ever come across brown LEDS? I need to build a birds nest out of lights for my psychodelic tree. If I have to I think soft white will work as well but was hoping to find brown. If I used CCP's or similar I'm sure I could get something close to the desired color but the price would jump drastically.

I'm also looking for some type of " light up bird" that I could place in my LED birdnest. Google has only found me neon, that would only work if you're directly facing the front of the display. Anyone ever come across anything remotely close to this?

Just thougt I'd ask....

Are you looking for something more 3D for the bird, like a blowmold? I've only seen penguins & flamingos.

As for the brown color you could buy some dumb RGB strings. Ray Wu sells them for around $0.20 a node & all you would need is one of those cheap DMX 3 channel controlers , $7 range, + a small power supply.  

You may want to try these caps from Christmas-leds.

http://www.christmas-leds.com/category_v3.aspx?categoryID=336

I had gotten a sample pack a while back and it had many colors and I remember both tan and brown. I went to their website and clicked on color guide but it didn't display anything. You may want to email Val and ask her to send you a color guide or see if she can get her website to display the guide. Hope this helps.

Later,

Al

Caps would certainly work if available.  I'd recommend you go with RGB if you can.  

If you get hard pressed, you could always use stage lighting film and while LEDs, or even use a thin layer of translucent paint on your lights like they do with blowmolds .   Either way will take annual maintenance which would be a pain.   

You may just have to find a bird and spotlight it, or get lucky and find a suitable bird made from stained glass.   http://www.amazon.com/Joan-Baker-Designs-SSC1039-Suncatcher/dp/B007AVZPF2/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1426701698&sr=8-89&keywords=translucent+bird

Good Luck Amigo.

Never seen a brown LED - nor would I expect to.  I can also tell you that brown is REALLY hard to get looking right with RGB.  You would need to adjust the individual levels using the hardware utility while watching the LEDs and keep adjusting until you get a color you like.  If you are using E1.31, you would use something like SACNView console to control the individual colors since you can't use the hardware utility.  Same for DMX lights using a DMX console of some type.

• 1 month later...

Maybe try a little Brown METAL Spray Paint... Light Coats until you get the opacity that you want for them.. Thin Coats at a time and metal Paint not enamel as you want to be protected from heat build up.... remember.... hot lights getting a cold winter shower can have shattering results if not careful..

... remember.... hot lights getting a cold winter shower can have shattering results if not careful..

You must have some pretty odd lights. I know an awful lot of people (including myself) who've been using all/every kind of filament/incandescent Christmas lights in some of the coldest parts of our country since the 1950's without bulbs shattering in the rain/snow/sleet. In fact, I don't recall ever even hearing about it until the past five minutes.