Light-O-Rama Forums

150 or 300 5050 RGB Light Strips

asl9622

I'm not doing house outline, but if I were to do so I would likely use 30 per meter strip. For various other stuff, I'm using 30, 48, & 60 per meter strips.

I agree....30/m or 150 per 5m strip is bright enough for house outline. All my house outlines are 30/m. 300 is crazy bright. I haven't used 300 other than to test so maybe it would look good....with shades on :-) Just note if using 60/m smart strips....twice as many channels.

My first strip was 300. The controller broke then I got 150. 150 has more vibrant colours, the 300 looks really white.

I have replaced it with a pixel strip. 

I was planning on using it on window outlines with a 150 strip on the other side but it looked unsymmetrical.

Thanks for the replies! I am using the dumb strips. My plan is to use the 150 based on your input and also because it draws less power. I need to map out my house and see how many strips, watts and amperage.  If going longer than five meters, it is best to run wires in parallel to keep voltage drop right? Thanks again for the tips. 

Do ya'll have a specific brand or vendor? Is the ebay stuff from China any good? 

I had to replace the strips I bought from ebay after 1 season. About 1/3 of the led's had at least 1 color burnt out. 

The strips from Ray wu have been fine so far, 2 seasons no burnouts.

I use all Ebay Strips. Had no problems. I only buy them from UK vendors though, not China. Pixel strips and pixels can come from China though. Ray Wu has good ones, but shipping is a lot.