Light-O-Rama Forums

Ideas for single light in flag stars

Joe T

I am building a 4th of July flag from a 4X8 sheet of plywood.  My plan is to drill holes and stick the mini lights through.  I'm using 70 M5 led mini light strings for each stripe and the blue background. 

Here's my problem - I want to have a single light to illuminate each star so I can control them separately (yes, 50 channels just for the stars in the flag).  I thought I'd be able to just cut up a white light string and put vamp plugs on each one, but I read that the leds don't like that much current.  I tried cutting up an incandescent mini light string with one light on a plug, but it immediately burnt out.

Ideas?  I'm stuck.

post-10475-0-78785300-1426351910_thumb.j

STOP!

Your lucky that the incandescent burnt out, and DIDN'T BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN.

Both Incans and LEDs are meant to run on low voltage. They are connected in series, to divide up the 120v supplied into voltages more manageable voltages for them. If you had tried it with LEDs, you would probably have had a fire. 

I highly recommend pixels for this. They are individually controllable and can change color if you need it. They would be perfect for this application!

They come in sets of 50 normally, and are very cheap at the moment. 

Good luck with your US Flag!

Be careful with electricity!

• Like 1

If you don't want to setup a DMX Universe then I recommend Cosmic Color Pixels. If not, HolidayCoro have a good DMX dongle and if you have a powerful PC the RS485 can be used, but with weaker machines some of the channels glitch.

HolidayCoro have some packages that will do this very well, and to save a lot of money you could buy a controller and lights from Ebay or Amazon. I use these for the outline of some trees:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WS2811-Pixels-digital-Addressable-String/dp/B00MYOCI9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426360741&sr=8-1&keywords=ws2811

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DMX-to-WS2811-WS2812-strip-converter-WS2811-WS2812-led-controller-/221299388963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338678b223

You can find both those exact same items at the same prices on the US versions of both those websites.

What is your intent for the field of stars?  Do you really need individual control of the stars?  If you just want them to twinkle, shimmer or fade etc.  You can do it with just one LOR channel.  What you can do is use a string of white old school twinkle/chase lights in the star field.  Traditionally the "Motion Lights" are used with incandescent lights, however I did see some LEDs with them this year at Walmart.  I use them to make candy cane spinners using just one channel.  When using a string light micro controller you can ONLY set the LOR channel to 100% on or completely off at 0%.  No fades, shimmers, or twinkle etc.  You set the micro controller knob when you set up the element then it will work whenever the channel is turned on.  If you need one, I have a few, and would let one go for $5 plus shipping.  I'll have to see if I have any white ones left.  That or you'll have to do some soldering and splicing.  The Micro Controllers I have will only work with Incan's, they won't work with LED's.  So this is an option if you don't want to do pixels. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Multichase lights may achieve the effect you wish to accomplish. 

C9s or C7s would not. The OP is looking for some kind of lights that will flash differently. 

If you want to be able to time when it flashes and have more elaborate patterns, pixels!

They will probably get you hooked onto buying more. 

+1 on Mark.

Using retros is the way to go.
Incans and LEDs both run off straight 120 volt.
You can cut up (2) 25 foot cheap old style C-9 stringers.
Buy (50) vampire males and (50) retros.
Wha-laa.

That's similar to what I did for the (40) can luminaries I run across the front of my display.

https://youtu.be/Knv9Z7AQvLw

Since they are spread out, I actually used a few rolls of SPT1 and retro sockets from Novelty Lights.
http://www.noveltylights.com/C9-Sockets/?altpath=N

I bought these retro LEDs C-9s from All Things Christmas and More 3 years ago and have used them with my LOR controllers and have had zero failures.
http://www.allthingschristmasandmore.com/C9-DIM-RETRO-PW-C9-Dimmable-Faceted-Pure-White-LED-Retrofit-Lamp-with-5-internal-LEDs-and-an-E17-Base_p_2110.html

Last year, I replaced the male vampires with fused males - just to be safe...
http://www.actionlighting.com/spt-1-spt-2-fused-male-vampire-zip-cord-plugs-white-pack-12-plugs-100sptplugf/

Good luck.
- Daniel

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Like 1

Sorry not trying to HI-jack the thread but Mega Arch, are those single retro C-9 bulbs along the drive way?  They looked like floods is why I ask.. 

Good idea. 

It will eat up AC channels though. 

The lights would be close enough to scroll text across! You could try that, and have nice messages in the stars.

Sorry not trying to HI-jack the thread but Mega Arch, are those single retro C-9 bulbs along the drive way? They looked like floods is why I ask..

Yes, they are the C-9s I linked.

Thanks for asking.

Good idea.

It will eat up AC channels though.

The lights would be close enough to scroll text across! You could try that, and have nice messages in the stars.

Yes, but OP said was wanting to use 50 channels.

50 channels for the stars, 13 for the stripes and 1 for the blue. That's 4 controllers. Unless you have the controllers already, that's a big investment. LEDs or Incans will certainly do what you want, but that's a lot of work for 50 lights, 50 extension cords, plus the other 14.

If you have the time to accomplish it, I say, go for it. I will say though, a pixel star field would be much easier along with the minis for the rest. 1 AC controller, one pixel controller and dongle, and a string of WS2811 pixels coupled with your minis would cut your build time to about a quarter. Sequencing would be quite simple too.

I know, I know, pixels don't solve everything, (they do for me), just adding my thoughts.

Good luck

• Like 1

You got it Daniel. RGB does not solve every problem.............

Wait...WHAT??? They don't??  Crap!!  :blink:

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

I'm with Ron on this one. The cost of the 3 controllers for the star field alone would push me into pixels.

If Joe doesn't want to get into DMX/ E1.31 then go CCP. Since he would already have to have a LOR data line for his other channels ( stripes ). Keeps things pretty simple. IMO

3 controllers are $777!

CCPs are $239

A 50 pixel setup (RS485) including pixels, controller and dongle would be about $60.

• Like 1

I have one more thought....  would a LOR controller even "See" a single C9 retro?  Or would it need snubbers on each one?  I know one of my older boards won't "See" strings of LEDs.  Had to add incans to make it work.  Which actually added a great effect in my application. 

I have one more thought.... would a LOR controller even "See" a single C9 retro? Or would it need snubbers on each one? I know one of my older boards won't "See" strings of LEDs. Had to add incans to make it work. Which actually added a great effect in my application.

Mine work great, but are 10 channels of 4 each.

I haven't tried just 1.

post-10475-0-08644300-1426630284_thumb.jpost-10475-0-73845700-1426630284_thumb.jI REALLY appreciate these ideas!  I already have the controllers from my Christmas light display and will be using 3 CCRs to make large 5-pointed stars to go with the flag.  So there isn't any added expense for that.

My intent is to control each of the 50 stars so that I can create geometric shapes in that blue field as the music plays.  I thought about the C-9 and C-7 bulbs, but they are pretty large - my stars have a 3" radius.

I guess I'm just not familiar enough with the pixels to know how to make them work the way I want.

I found some bulbs on the Action Lighting web site 5W T7 candelabra base 110 volt bulbs that I think might work.  It says they use C-7 sockets and they are only 7/8" across.  I just wonder if the 5 watts will be bright enough for my purpose.

Again, thanks for the ideas!