Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D Electrical Sounds Through Speakers

EmmienLightFan

When I have a sequence running, and one of my CTB16PCs and a CMB24D connected, the speakers (Connected through Behringer Xenyx302USB/1002USB sound card) make a hum when it dims the lights. I have tried putting farite cores on cables and using filtered cables and stuff, but it won't go away! It is there but much quieter when the AMP is connected to my onboard soundcard.

If you need it I can record it, but basically it is a hum that changes pitch depending on how bright my RGB lights are. Off is no hum, full brightness is no hum, and the pitch gets higher the closer to 100% brightness they get, then stops when it reaches it.

This is the first time I've heard of this occurring from lighting displays, but it's a failry common problem. 

The audio cables are simply picking up the electromagnetic field from the data cables, or you have an internal computer issue with a ground.   In a desktop computing environment, it most often occurs when a cellphone is in close proximity to cheaper stock computer speakers/audio lines.   You're on the right track.  Upgrade your audio cables, try moving from CAT-5 to CAT-6 for that one leg of data cable (more noise cancellation), perhaps try bigger ferrites on your audio cables, and put another foot of physical space between your data & audio cables when routing if possible.    The noise won't hurt anything, it's just highly annoying.

You could also try a ground loop isolator. There fairly inexpensive & I've had good results when a certain laptop had bad ground hum.

If it is data, how come it only happens when the CMB24D is dimming, and not when the CTB16PC does something?

I have an LOR filtered cable going to my USB hub, and Xenyx 1002 interface which then goes to my Pro audio amp and column speakers. There is another LOR filtered cable coming out and going in the opposite direction, to the CTB16PC and CMB24D. I use 24AWG cables (Remnants of some expensive HiFi cables) and a nice amp (Pyle Pro).

I'm by no means an audio expert by, but I've found in the past grounding can be an issue between the amp and the source(and any other electronics in between);

In any electronics, a floating ground can(but not always) can cause some 60hz noise/hum on the signal wire even with ferrite beads on the cables

Check for loose power supply connections to the cmbd24, any loose cables/bad connections at the speakers, amps, power supply, cat 5cables etc.

I have a similiar Pyle amp and Behringer usb interface and so far have not had any problems and I have wires hanging all over the place, but all the connections are good.

Like Bizywk suggested, check the cat5 cables(you might have a bad one, try swapping it out)

There's always the wiggle method; go from cable to cable slightly wiggling them to check for a loose or bad connection

Yeah. I will set everything up again tomorrow and will fiddle around with cables swapping them and checking connections.