Light-O-Rama Forums

New Pixel Controller

Darryl Lambert

For those interested. A friend turned me on to this & I hadn't seen it posted here. 

The guys responsible for the falcon pi player have developed a new E1.31 pixel controller capable of handling 64 UNIVERSES!!!  :o

Thread can be found HERE

That team including Pitt's is going to be at Christmas Expo in July. Dave should have some of the F16v2's on hand for show and tell.......

Cool board...

Good grief.  At 64 universes and 16 outputs, that would take an average of 680 pixels per string to fill it up.  Better get REALLY good with power injection!  OK, with expansion board it would be 32 outputs so only 340 pixels per string.

Actually, there are two controllers.

Dave Pitts is a little bit of an over achiever. Since summer of last year He added whole house model, opengl to xlights 3.6, he then made the first release of xlights 4.0. While doing that he designed two controllers. The falcon16-v2 has a fpga and does 64 universes. With expansion board it can do 32 strings.

The falcon16-B has a beagle. Bone black as its core. It does. 100 universes. With two expansion boards it has 48 strings.

The other nice thing with the F16v2 board is that it has 4 dedicated DMX outputs. No need to use up your pixel connectors.

Edited by Darryl Lambert

For those of us not familiar with the Falcon line, what is the difference between this controller and the Sandevices or J1sys or Pixlite? (number of pixels per board aside)

Since they are all E1.31, I would think they are the same as far as adding in to an E1.31 network.

I'm pretty partial to the E682 and E6804. They both work flawless for me. I will make my judgement on the P12S after the 2015 season. As of right now though, unless the P12S stops misbehaving with flicker, it will go away next year.

Got off topic, sorry. I'll hush now.

As I have stated on the web page, every controller works, they all have a happy install base. If you have 16 strings that are all the same type the lights will blink for about the same price. One difference is the falcon beagle bone controller. For $170 u get 16 strings of lights (each string could have 680 nodes). But a big difference is that the beagle one is running FPP so it is also a show player. The e682 is probably one of the best selling controllers for a reason. It works, has great support and a large user base.