Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple Screens

EmmienLightFan

I want to have two screens in windows, to show the show times, show the show "Live" (Pre recorded show on the screens when they are not being used for something else), maybe singing faces, pre show videos, videos along with the sequence and show the pixel matrix's raw video (It may be clearer)

I want to be able to show separate video on each screen. One has HDMI and VGA and the other only VGA. I have two VGAs and one HDMI free on my PC, so thats all OK.

How can I have two different videos in LOR or map it so half goes to one screen and half to the other?

LOR isn't big on multiple screens currently, maybe that'll change with this next update. As of right now you can sequence with a video file and during the show, the video file will appear on one of the screens (you can adjust which screen and if the video plays full screen as well), however you only have 1 video playing during the show. However you will also have a screen from LOR that shows which sequence is playing, which is really just a live log/record more than anything.

If you are wanting to show a video in your display and have show times, I would suggest you create a "commercial" sequence (as I like to call them), a sequence that is maybe 15-30 seconds long that shows the song that just played and the next song, it's simple and short. Just create a video (Windows Live Movie Maker can do this if you're not very familiar with video editing software), use that video in it's own sequence (add some small effects with your lights while it's playing). There is simply no way for LOR to output two videos at the same time. 

Oh OK. I suppose I can get a splitter or duplicate it on the PC so it shows on both.

I spend a lot of time Video Editing and I use Adobe Premier, After Effects and Photoshop so I can create the content very easily.

Something that just popped in my head, you could try to run a video player as well as LOR at the same time? I've never tried it but you could have one with a live feed and the other with the show. Of course doing this you'd have to manually start the video each night which would be a pain but it might be a way to get it done? I'm not sure if you'd be willing to go that far to make it happen though.

I could have a script that runs at the start of each sequence to open it. I will try it today.

The only concern I have with the script is the timing of the video starting as well as if the video player window will close after each sequence, of it doesn't you'll have dozens of Windows open for just that video. It's something you'll have to play around with and see what it happens.

I can make a script to close it again.

From looking at your website (Very professional), and looking at your "Sync my Lights" I noticed you did Paul Toole's show! That is one of three residential LOR Shows in the UK (Mine, that one and Margam Animated Lights). It's really nice.

Yeah I did sequence his show for a couple years, I haven't heard much from him since about 2012. Thank you for the compliment, I'm accepting more shows to sequence if you'd like.

One way of running multiple videos is to use a video playback system, such as this https://www.gilderfluke.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_76&products_id=343&zenid=k8mf7dov7ct02chisst60rv4s20ccbkt. As long as your program isn't too long, the video should remain in sync once triggered by DMX. It's a bit of pricey solution, but it solves the problem. There may be other less expensive options out there as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you using onboard graphics or do you have a graphics card installed? If you have a graphics card, which one? I am using a Nvidia 760 that has the ability to combine multiple screens into one display (they call it "surround") In other words, windows sees the two monitors as one and so does LOR. So I made a single video in which half of the video plays on each screen, essentially making it seem that each display appears to be playing a different video file.

I can make a video to show you, if you want.

O.K. I have watched some You Tube video's and have seen some that have a video running on a matrix. Then have pictures and do like a slide show. How is this done with the LOR sequencer? I assume that the pictures are JEPG files. Can anyone explain how this is done?

Thanks

They would use Nutcracker/xLights. The matrixs are normal, CCP/pixel ones.

Now, you can play a video on your Matrix and add it with the Pixel Editor, which is in the pro version of S4. You can also do slideshows with images.

I create images in Photoshop at 24x12 and add then to my matrix. Sometimes I use multiple images on top of eachother, so I can then move it in Nutcrracker, or create a GIF animation.

It takes a high res matrix to show video, but when it works it is really good.