Light-O-Rama Forums

Wave Effect

Judy

My plan is to decorate an 8" artificial tree with C6's  - red, green and blue lights.  

I would like to create a wave effect with the lights. 

Would you put the lights on in an up/down method or surround the tree method. 

Would you suggest each set of lights has its own designated plug on the controller.

Secondly:  I have heard that it is possible to use the same controller operating two items - let's say a marty fan and 4 arches, each requiring 16 circuits.  Is there a type of switch to connect to the plugs on controller to achieve this???

Sorry, don't have all the right lingo down yet.  Thanks for any help.

Judy

how many circuits is marty fan? how many circuits on each arch?

do you mean 16 circuits on each thing

i used to have 4 arches with 4 colors on each arch would take 1 16 circuit controller to do that if you use it as a split say 16 circuits on the arches and 16 on the marty fan it would seem like that would be to much of a power draw on 1 controller if that what you mean you would need 2 controllers  unless you are using all led lights you have to figure out the amount of amps you are drawing

16 circuits for the marty fan and 16 for the arches

I was trying to get away without using an additional controller.  I understand the power draw - good point.  Is there a way I can use the one controller but not necessarily have the marty fan and arches on at the same time?

16 circuits for the marty fan and 16 for the arches

I was trying to get away without using an additional controller.  I understand the power draw - good point.  Is there a way I can use the one controller but not necessarily have the marty fan and arches on at the same time?

if you are wanting to get away with one controller but control both then you have to make a decision on how.  another words channel one on the first arch would also control channel one on the first marty fan and on down the line.  if you want to control the group differently then go with 8 channels dedicated to each function but double up on the circuits, circuit one and two on channel one.  To pull this off and not have to stress about amperage I would recommend NO INCANDESCENT, make it all LED's.

• Like 1

Thank you.

My plan is to decorate an 8" artificial tree with C6's  - red, green and blue lights.  

I would like to create a WAVE EFFECT with the lights which I saw on Richard Holman's site and have never attempted it. 

Would you put the lights on in an up/down method or surround the tree method. 

Would you suggest each set of lights has its own designated circuit on the controller.

Any ideas on how to accomplish?

if you linked them both together on 1 controller they will both fire  at the same time  it be like a clone of one on the other

I am not sure if this is what the OP is asking. But this came up here or on Planet Christmas several years ago. You can only have 15 items times 2 for a total of 30 items each. Then you need either a 15 pole double throw relay or 15 relays. Then you use the 16th channel to operate the relay(s). Draw back is that you cant have both banks of 15 items on at the same time. In your case, it will be either the arches or the Marty fan(s). I have to step back for a minute and point out that DPDT relays are fairly common and you would only really only need 8 such relays.