Light-O-Rama Forums

Interesting new Icicles

godman

Similar to the plasmaicicle but a traditional icicle look. Nice but it would take quite a few to do most eaves not to mention that you would need power injection

I wonder if they hold up in the wind just as well? Also, the longer runs of pixel commands, means heavier gauge wire too. I just tested some WS2811's with a 30 foot extension on it. Seemed to work just fine but who knows when you get out there to 75 feet or so. I don't have enough 16 awg to test that far out at the moment...although I suppose I could borrow one of my 16 awg extensions for my window frames that run off the CMB24...those worked just fine for it. Maybe today I'll try that cable on the pixels.

Similar to the plasmaicicle but a traditional icicle look. Nice but it would take quite a few to do most eaves not to mention that you would need power injection

aaahhhh.. not like the Plasma Icicles.. nono.gif       

Hee hee..

I wonder if they hold up in the wind just as well? Also, the longer runs of pixel commands, means heavier gauge wire too. I just tested some WS2811's with a 30 foot extension on it. Seemed to work just fine but who knows when you get out there to 75 feet or so. I don't have enough 16 awg to test that far out at the moment...although I suppose I could borrow one of my 16 awg extensions for my window frames that run off the CMB24...those worked just fine for it. Maybe today I'll try that cable on the pixels.

There is a good write up on wire type and distance. Look for "wire type does matter".

I am able to use off the shelf extension cables (18 awg) and take my 2811 pixels 75' away. I do use null pixels every 25'.

Looks like you can only control each strand and not each bulb. I don't see different colors on the strands and that could just be the programming.

But I would be interested in that type of light for other elements. It would be nice for say pumpkins where I would want multiple lights with one main control. Right now if I have 10 pumpkins then I need a 30 channel controller. Pixels would simplify that but more than one light is needed.