Light-O-Rama Forums

I’m getting addicted, should I consider RGB the first year

Phantomtech

It all started in mid December when I saw something about Mr. Christmas allowing you to synchronize lights to music. During my research I came across light o rama, Christmas forums, and checked out some local displays. I went and downloaded the software and started playing around with a couple of free sequences by modifying them to work with my layout. Purchased one controller to play with and a FM transmitter. Initially was only going to do 16 channels but quickly grew to 32 channels. I’m now planning on 128 channels, already built a 10ft 16 channel spiral tree with 8 vertical channels, 4-7 channel arches, 7 mini trees with two colors.

I am currently planning on using 99% LED and on my house I have a 60ft gutter section which I plan to do at least 4 colors on, the upper gutter and peek total of 80ft also with 4 colors. I have been thinking I should maybe go with RGB pixels instead. I have read a lot of information about RGB and know I have to do power injection, my understanding on the 60ft gutter section if I have 5 pixel strips, Would using pixels or RGB strips be better for the gutters? I power inject between each one. Can I just use one power supply or are multiple required? Do most people use the premade RGB extension cables or do they make them?  What controller do I use?

Right now I’m on information overload and not sure which way to go. I’m afraid if I try to take on RGB pixels it will be overwhelming to sequence.

I have an animation sequence that I have been working on that I put up on YouTube to give an idea of what my yard layout looks like. The spiral tree, arches, and mini trees are not placed in the correct location. I just put them there to visualize timing better. The spiral tree will be near the left corner of the house, the arches will be in the parking strip and not positive where I will place the mini trees. I also haven’t included the bushes, deer, and other basic light elements in the animation layout.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated, either on should I go RGB or comments on the sequence I made.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iegB1MSgjE

Going with the number of regular channels you're planning is a seriously significant endeavor. We started our first year thinking 32 and wound up with 144 channels sitting in the yard by the time first light arrived. It's doable but you're going to be busy.

My advice would be to stay from pixels your first year. Use the time to learn and decide which route you want to go with that. But you might want to consider doing your roofline with dumb RGB ribbons. Easier and much less expensive than using multiple sets of single-color LEDs, and gives you the option of being any color you want.

Edited by George Simmons

I would go RGB. Why spend money on led's only to later wish you had made the jump to RGB.

As to the sequencing part you can still treat pixels as if they were a string of lights & just do simple colors & fades until you get more comfortable with the sequence part.

When it comes to pixels or strips it's a personal preference. Pixels look more like traditional Xmas lights where strips give a very clean look. I prefer pixels but that's just me. I do like the clean look of the strips but I don't think it fits my style of house. Strips seem to look better on newer architecture style homes. IMO I would use pixels on your house just my 2 cents.

BTW it seems like you have a pretty good grasp of the sequencing part of things from your video. It's often overlooked how a good sequence will dramatically improve the overall look of a display

• Like 1

... It's often overlooked how a good sequence will dramatically improve the overall look of a display

I know it's only February, but still I predict this will be in the running for post of the year.

Not to mention understatement of the year ...

• Like 1

I would suggest a budget check, keeping the required infrastructure in mind.

Make up your mind quickly as to which direction you wish to go and what the power and controller requirements will be and keep in mind the cost of all the lights.

Do you want to do smart pixels, dumb strips, LEDs or some combination thereof?

Most of all, keep that budget in check for it is all too easy to see it spiral out of control. Your light sales are typically going on now. Wait for the summer sale for the LOR controllers. Look for SPT1 or SPT2 wire and vampire plugs and buy them when they are on sale. Did we mention the necessary cat-5 cable, wireless light adapters or the PVC and other gear to make the props?

The good thing is you have a head start. BTW, great job on Wizards!

I know you want to run with 128 channels which is more that I started with. I started with a Mr.Christmas in 2007 & then I went with Animated Lighting Controllers (48) channels, & sold them off right after Christmas 2008 & bought 160 channels in 2009. That was a lot of sequencing compared to 48 channels.  Ended up with over 352 channels & sold most of them & I am now going more rgb.  

Anyhow if I was starting over I would forget about using White Leds for arches & wrapping sleeves & what not & I would go with Lor ccps for arches. Way easier to make. You can make two 50 pixel arches from 1 ccp controller, or four 25 pixel  arches out of one pixel controller.  You cut back from 28 extensions cords (4 regular arches) to 1 cord for two arches & another cord if you make two more ccp arches. 

Now you can do the rest of your display with regular Lor AC controllers.  Oh & like George said use rgb dumb strips for your roof line. Just my thoughts. 

I agree with lightzilla on the arches. His exact explanation on the arches is why I decided to use rgb for my arches. Rgb wont stop with the arches though. Once you start playing with rgb and seeing all that you can do you will want to add more and more. I know thats at least true for me anyway. I have purchased a couple of the ccp's from lor with plans on purchasing several more during the spring or summer sale. 

I know it's only February, but still I predict this will be in the running for post of the year.

Not to mention understatement of the year ...

Geez George your making me blush!  :lol:

First of all, welcome to the addition.

I would also go with the RGB, but don't bite off more than you can chew.  With the higher channel counts, the sequencing gets more involved - really fast.  Don't be afraid of it either.  The RGB gives so much more capability.

Let me tell you my history - which is a bit different than most people around here.

It all started in 2011 with my landscaping project.  I wanted to put some white rope light in front of my 17 roses and around three tree rings.  I wanted to be able to dim the lights.  I'm an electronic tech of sorts professionally so I figured that I could build the required PWM dimmers.  However then I pondered "why am I re-inventing the wheel - this has been done before".  Ended up on the LOR website, and bought a couple DC controllers and a ServoDog (only for the inputs).  It all worked fine.  Even went down to a local guy and spent an afternoon helping him setup his Christmas display - primarily so I could learn a few things.  A while later my Dad who is about 90% blind, commented that with my newly re-built front porch and it's brick steps, he could not see the steps in the dark.  So I bought some dumb RGB strips and installed it on the underside of the overhanging bullnose brick on the front of the steps.  That meant one more DC card to control it.  Even put in a motion sensor and a door switch that both triggered interactive sequences to ramp the lights up when someone approached the steps or opened the front door - really cool.  Now the first problem.  When looking at the rope light around one of the tree rings near the front porch and the RGB strip on the steps, the rope light looked terrible.  OK, convert the roses and tree rings to RGB strip - and another DC controller card, and a SanDevices E1.31 controller.  When I went down to help the guy setup (and learn from him), he warned me that I WOULD end up running a Christmas show.  I assured him that I had no plans to do so.

Fast forward a year to fall of 2012.  So much for my plans of not doing a Christmas show.  I built a 12 string pixel tree using Ray Wu WS2811 pixels and a somewhat custom Brian Bruderer Superstar on top.  I ran an animation only show in large part because I knew I did not have time to sequence a musical show.  Other than the landscape lighting, the only prop added for Christmas was the pixel tree.  Therefore, my first year of Christmas show was about 2,000 channels.  For 2013, the only change was the star was rebuilt and became 360 RGB nodes, so that Christmas was about 3,000 channels.  Early in 2014, I decided to run a full musical show, and added 214 GE Color Effects lights on my eves, six CCP based arches, and three strings of lights along a wall.  That meant that Christmas 2014 was 4,537 channels.  All except for a few white lights and the strings along the wall, were RGB.  I'm still finalizing the 2015 plan, but it will be close to 6,000 channels.

The moral of this story, is that the RGB is really cool, and in some cases easier to implement, but does add more sequencing.  Not only more channels, but artisticly you need to be able to work in the added dimension of color.

2014 was my first year and I started with 2 16 channel AC controllers.  I wasn't overwhelmed, but close.  I did my sequencing early so come Fall i was mainly working to finish my props and getting everything set up for the show.  I tried to make everything as modular as possible to avoid hanging/mounting loose strings every year (custom window frames, mini-trees, 8' mounts with C9s mounted to them).  

This year I'm going to venture into RGB with some custom snowflakes I'm building and I'm hoping to get the 8pack of 10W LOR floods at the Spring Sale  I'm also adding a 10' spiral tree, another color to my mini-trees and red to my window frames (32 more channels). 

I started a bit too late last year, but if you know what your'e building, order lights and RGB parts now.  If you miss it or aren't ready, they have minor sales later in the summer/early fall if i remember correctly.  Good luck. 

RGB!

For aches it is a bigger bang for the buck.

It would cost to do 2 aches (8 channels each) ONE colour $200 for the controller and $160 for the (LED) lights is $360

CCRs are about $200 and they will do a bazllion colours!

I'm thinking I would go with smart RGB, yes the upfront cost is more but offers a lot more flexibility to the display. Not sure it I really need smart for the windows but definitely the gutters and roof line. 

Decided to go with smart pixels either the bullet style or square that HolidayCoro sells. The square nodes look like they would be easier to attach to the PVC, does anyone have picture of the bullet style attached to PVC? 

Anyone know of videos that use the pixel nodes(bullet) on the roof? 

I have one area that I'm thinking of using strips, has anyone used  mounting base with diffuser that HolidayCoro sells?  http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/766-ps.htm

Take a look at my web page listed below. Follow the links to general information about the display, then to the technical details page. From there look at the pages for the pixel tree, and also the pages on the arches. The pixel tree is using the square nodes, and the arches are using bullet type nodes (CCPs). Might give you some ideas.

I use bullets for my arches. I am 5 bullets per channel and 5 channels using 2 arches (10 channels total). Dumb rgb obviously.

I wrap the light around the pvc and Velcro it in place. It looks good. Took very little time to make.

However, here is an alternate idea:

http://www.holidayrgb.com/RGB-Lawn-ideas.html

Edited by sax