Light-O-Rama Forums

Strips or Nodes?

Dcroc

Starting to plan out my outline for the house and windows. Will be going with dumb RGB.  Was thinking of using strips, but the nodes have more of a "traditional" light look. The nodes are also the size of a .44 mag bullet. What do most people use?  Using the strips comes with problems with right angle bends, and using nodes seems to be a clear size problem.

If you don't like the size of nodes you can put c9 covers on them.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/506253078.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail

The bigger issue with strips is repair. It's pretty difficult to repair those strips IMO. Where replacing a bad node is pretty painless. I've fixed one while it was still on the house.

The biggest attraction - at least to me - with the strips/ribbons is not having to deal with the wires between nodes and not having to worry about water ingress if the nodes aren't positioned exactly right or sealed well enough.  (I also prefer the cleaner look.)  Yes, strips are more fragile, but once you realize that and treat them accordingly that shouldn't be an issue.

I use both. For my year round landscape lighting, there is a total of about 44 meters of a combination of smart and dumb strips. When I'm completed with the landscaping project later this year I will have roughly doubled that figure. All of that is solidly glued in place. For the Christmas lighting, there were 600 pixels on my tree, 300 CCPs in arches, and 214 GE Color Effects bulbs on the eves. The only strips were inside the pixel star and they are solidly glued into the star. I will tell you that the as has been said, the pixels are FAR easier to repair - I have done both.

With the nodes being the size of a large artillery shell, how does one mount them around a window? I have 12mm nodes, is there a much smaller version of nodes? I was really expecting it to be as easy as hanging traditional LEDs.

Edited by Dcroc

Strips + nodes = a family light show complete with a private viewing room back behind the curtain? :)

Edited by George Simmons

Strips + nodes = a family light show complete with a private viewing room back behind the curtain? :)

obviously Pink Floyd playing in the background.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I use both! Nodes for around the doors and windows as they replicate the look of traditional lights the best, and strips wrapped around my colums. Picture of my house on my website:

I'm planning on using a three-quarter inch HDPE pipe with RGB strips that I can clip onto my roof line. the strips will be mounted inside the pipe to diffuse the light.

For bushes one thing that comes to mind is using 2811 flat nodes and make an grid net. I would think that you could do some pretty cool things with a bush that way

I guess tye flat nodes would solve the problem of the tank missle size nodes around the windows. Doesn't help much on the bushes, though. I think I am just gonna have to experiment and see what looks best on the bushes.

I use bullet nodes on my trees and bushes. They are big but at night you only see the bulb.

One thing to keep in mind, you won't need thousands of lights on your bushes or trees. I have 90 nodes in my cherry tree. My bushes, which are about 6' tall by 5' wide have 100 nodes.

I use strips on my eaves and gutters. They look good and are much easier to put up then nodes. I use emt pipe for my strip and it hangs on my gutters with 3 s hooks.

Never had a dead node. My lower strip had water get in which was totally my fault but luckily only 1 pixel was damaged. Repair required pulling the emt down and putting it back up. 3 hooks. Not too bad. But if I had just did better sealing the end I wouldn't of had to fix it.

Can the Holidaycoro smart strips be cut? If so, I take it this would reduce the number of channels? I only need 10 feet for arches.