Light-O-Rama Forums

what to start with

kingfish

I am planning on buying a light o rama I would like to start with a wire frame pumkin my buget is 2000.00

is this feasible for everying   lightorama frame lights rope fm transmiter

any sugestions

wow lights has a 32 output kit that has all you will need. its 2300 bucks. you can do it cheaper by building it all, but if you want to spend that much then that is the way to go. wowlights.com

Seems to me the prices on the starter kits at Wow are quite high.  Perhaps even extremely high.  700 bucks for a single wire-frame pumpkin?  Wow! is right.  Be sure to check out the wire frames at D'lights before you spend that kind of crazy money.

Shop LOR's sales (spring and summer) for your controllers.  If you're not afraid of doing a bit of non-soldering work yourself you can scarf quite a few and still have plenty of your budget left over.  And whatever else you do, don't even THINK about buying the Whole Room transmitter.  Go to Amazon and pick up a CZH-05B.  Easily ten times the transmitter for half the Whole Room price. 

Welcome.  You're wise to do some asking before spending.  And don't forget if you need ordinary LED lights, the best vendors in the business are having their best sales of the year right now.

opps. My mistake.

Does anybody know how to delete a post?

You can't delete a post. Only edit it, like you did.

I was in your boat a year ago, in starting first with singing faces.

I think Sax's suggustion is a good way to good.  Getting the dlite frame and  adding lights yourself would be a mid-level DIY job.  Many build their singing face frames  from scatch to save even more but then the skill level needed, rises.

Remember too some folks sell off their controllers each year.  If you did that you save money to. You could get a PC controller starter kit during one of the Lor sales & keep an eye out for folks selling controllers. Some folks want out & sell off & other sell because they are going RGB.

Then get the FM transmitter that was mentioned because it is good. The same for the wire frames.  If you can get more bang for the buck then you would be better off doing so. 

well I can tell already my I need to up it to 3000.00 which I can do

four singing trees  350.00

four jacks              360.00  buying all at once hope to crack a deal

lor                        1200.00  lor starter plus plus three add units  40 channels for singers that leaves me 24channels I would use 6 for my existing display and room

for expansion

fm                              0.00  bought it today on sale

fm sign                    20.00

how much led rope do I need want to do all 8   what colors would you recommend 

Don't forget extention cords.

Lots & lots of cords!!!

Suggestion would be to buy a spool of spt-2 & vampire plugs. Cheapest way to go plus you get cords the exact length you need.

150 ft got me 3 pumpkins.

Jack, don't think I could do 2 with 150ft. But I only had one and it was my first face to try to rope so lots of waste.

I do have spare rope from both.

Pumpkins being Orange looks best imho. And I chose yellow for jack. My avatar is my actual Halloween faces in visualizer.

Man, that is a lot of faces. Get your wireframe order in soon as that will take Doug some time to weld up.

LOR spring sale could save you money on your controllers. The controllers are almost a sure bet as most people are trying to get the rgb things. The spring sale does not guarantee stock so it is always risky. The summer sale has unlimited stock but it will put you close to Halloween for delivery.

You can download the sw now and use without paying. I had several sequences made before I ever bought the sw. The sequences will still work once you get a license so you could start programming now.

And the singing trees....I had 3 from wireframe dlites and 150' for 3 was all I could get. I used green.

I used frosty as my fourth face.

If you're only planning on using six channels for the rest of your display, you can save yourself an awful lot of aggravation by just using a Mr. Christmas thing.  Their sequencing is already done for six channels and it costs far less than stockpiling controllers for future expansion.

Oh yeah, amount of rope light you need is based on size of wireframe. My jack skellington is much larger than the pumpkins. My Xmas trees are the size of the pumpkins.

Here is raw video that has audio desync'd in the middle of the video. It is crappy video but you should be able to see the faces at least.

Seems to me that the LOR "packages" are WAY over-priced.  Don't be afraid to try to make a few things yourself.  Will save a TON of money, and will find it doesn't really take that much time to make the props once you get rolling on it.

HI, For under $3300.00 I purchased the following last year as first time start up

Purchased at LOR:

1 Starter Kit with license 16channel Residential with USB Booster

3- Residential 16Channel controller add ons

1-FM broad caster (highly not to purchase) see other comments prior

5-prebuilt 48 channel sequences( no time to build my own since I started late November)

50 extension chords ranging from 100ft to 8ft.. (build your own is cheaper and it takes about 5 min per chord, I had no time to do this but will this year when I expand). Lowes, Wallmart, HomeDepot

3 24inch  Y male plug to 3way recep  to power all three controllers Home Depot

16-225ct LED lights fromWall mart

34- 50ct LED lights from Wall mart

3- 225 ct LED Icycles from Wall mart

15- 100 count LED lights wall mart

1-450 count LED lights Icycles from Wallmart

10 incandescent lights 100 ct

1- Sign for the FM Channel

There is a lot of great advice here on lights.... all future lights will be purchased commercial grade LED's lower power usage allows less work at the meter panel.. but they cost more...

Have fun!!! I put my together in about two weeks.. here is my show:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6vdrGnKIs

Edited by BCBjorklund

Hi, new this year and just browsing forums! I ran my lights last year using me christmas! But this I'm stepping it up big time! I bought the 32 channel lor kit that you plug the wires in yourself and upgraded the software to advace for 611$. I then bought 38 rgb smart ribbon from holidaycoro.com with 3 pix lite 16 controllers. 6 power supplies, a 3 tier rgb star. 5 Coro start, a use flag, and 3 singing alien faces! I'm making a 12 CCr tree along with 10 rgb ribbon arches house outline and using the extra ribbon for a ufo I'm going to make like Gary from holiday rgb.com. Along with 2 of his fireworks!! You can get a tranitter from eBay along with 100m of wire for cheap!! My display will run for three holidays now!! I've spent 2600 and still got 400 left for hardware!!