Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel spinner

Steelers95

I'm working on building 2 pixel spinners out of ws2811 pixels and an e682 for next year but I'm not sure how to wire the pixels. I want around 8 pixels on every leg of the spinner but in order to make a continuous string of pixels would I need to run a wire from the end of one leg down to the middle of the spinner and connect that wire to the next set of pixels on the next leg. I apologize because this is probably not worded the best but I have searched and have not been able to find any real instructions on building a pixel spinner. 

Thank you for any help you may have to offer

rjmcasters Is right. That is where I got my spinner visualization from. I modified he visualization to fit the size I am building. Ron was gracious to share it with others. 

I'm working on building 2 pixel spinners out of ws2811 pixels and an e682 for next year but I'm not sure how to wire the pixels. I want around 8 pixels on every leg of the spinner but in order to make a continuous string of pixels would I need to run a wire from the end of one leg down to the middle of the spinner and connect that wire to the next set of pixels on the next leg. I apologize because this is probably not worded the best but I have searched and have not been able to find any real instructions on building a pixel spinner. 

Thank you for any help you may have to offer

The method you describe is about the only way I know unless you want to tie up a totally unnecessary number of outputs from the 682. I did a 10-spoke prototype using a single CCR ribbon with 5 pixels on each spoke. Lots of soldering but the results are worth it.

Steelers95,

I made up a quick drawing of how mine are wired. You can see it at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1j1afepxpsuv5q/Spinner%20Wiring.pdf?dl=0

My large spinner is made up of 10 arms with 25 square pixels each. The small ones are made with strip pixels and have 17 pixels on 8 arms. Here is a short vid with my favorite effect for these: 

I also answered your PM with a link to a build I did last year. Although the build is a fan, the concept is the same. For those who may want to build something like this, here's the link to my Pixel Fan Build: http://www.boydchristmasinlights.com/how-to.html

Obviously, this is not the only way to do it but, this is the way I did it.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Edited by Ron Boyd
  • Like 1

did you have to run each of the wires to the power supply seperatly or did you connect all the v+ wires together and just run one v+ wire to the power supply, if so how did you connect the v+ wires together.

When I built my spinner, I powered the pixel strips from the center. I ran the data line, back down the arm. It's much easier conceiling 1 wire.

I was wondering if that would work. It does for strips, bit I haven't tried it with nodes.

Thanks for confirming.

edit:

Oh wait, you said strips. Does anybody know if this works for nodes too? I would think so, I just haven't tried it

Edited by Ron Boyd

Shouldn't make any difference   nodes and strips are the same except the circuit board -vs- wire connecting pixels. The modules themselves are the same just self contained in nodes.

Strips are WS2812b, 5v from diyledexpress.com 17 pixels per leg and ran from a j1sys P12S. That will be replaced this year with a pixel extender from diy.