Light-O-Rama Forums

Confused about networks

godman

I see people talking about networks and network speeds but I don't understand, I'm going to be adding a pixel tree, Matrix and more RGB this year so I want to make sure I understand the requirements.

Can someone explain why a second network would be needed?

When your referring to a second network, are you just referring to choosing a different network in the channel settings? I assume a second network require a second RJ45 USB Adaptor, in other words you would have 2 adapters plugged into the show computer?

I hear about a high speed Adapter, will a high speed adapter replace the need for a second network.

My LOR network is set at 56.6 (Recommended) Why wouldn't I always run the network at 115 or 500? what would happen if I changed to a higher network speed?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Separate Networks come into play when you have a large display OR  a lot of data that needs to be delivered to the controllers (RGB). You would separate things to avoid lag between the controllers.  If you run the show from the PC then yes two USB adapters.  Lower speeds are more reliable for data communication where the higher speeds may have induced noise over longer runs causing unwanted effects on the lights.

As Grinch said, a large display is the general reason for multiple networks.  Depending on the speed of the display, a general rule of thumb I have heard here on the forum is about 6 CCRs or about 900 channels for a single network (take that with a LARGE grain of salt).  A high speed network can handle quite a bit more than that.

Another reason for an additional network is networks going in different directions.  In my case I run 2 networks for my landscaping show, and add a high speed network for six CCP strings for Christmas.  The second network was added for one controller, but the cable goes in a completely different direction.  I could have done two different things to eliminate the second network.  One would be to run network cable to the one controller, and right back to the show computer, then on to the rest of the controllers via the existing first network.  The second workaround would be to use either T connector or the USB adapter that has two outputs.  It was just as easy to add another network.

Just to add -

the high speed adaptor is not needed to run at 500k. But, if you are going to purchase a second adaptor from LOR anyway then I would get the red high speed one.

~Matt

For a pixel tree, you'll most likely be using E1.31 protocol which is DMX over TCPIP. Yes, its easier than it sounds and its on its own network, far different than LOR's network(s). First, both use Cat5/6 cables but the connections and hardware are totally different and you MUST NOT connect one into the other. You will fry something for sure. If using E1.31, you'll be sending sequence commands over TCPIP out to a smart controller. This is done with standard TCPIP connections from the computer's port. Cabling from it to a GBswitch then out to the controller itself. You configure the controller from your internet browser. LOR's configuration is set up in the network preferences and assigning channels to sequence based upon which network you are using...DMX Universe type. So, lets say you want pixel string 1 to run. You configure DMX Universe 1 for the IP address of the controller such as the San Devices E682 or the JoshuaSystems P12S card, to the IP address of the card. Then in the sequence editor, you assign channels to DMX Universe 1 and sequence normally. There's other things such as turning on the "control lights" check mark in the Play pulldown menu of the SE and insuring the control panel gets launched too. Truly, its no harder to accomplish than sequencing an AC controller other than now you are doing colors too.

Just to add -

the high speed adaptor is not needed to run at 500k.

This is incorrect. With the regular USB485 adaptor your options are limited to either 57k or 115k. If you want to run at 500K you DO need the red adaptor.

Just to add to this the High speed adapter is for the Gen3 boards/ccr/ccp's. If your controllers are Gen 1 or 2 they should not be on the high speed network.

Hey George!
Just caught your reply saying you DO need the red HS adaptor to run at 500K.
 Now, I highly value your opinion..............
I went and reread my emails with Brian and Bob and they were pretty clear that it is NOT necessary to have the red HS adaptor to run at 500K.
Part of what Brian wrote to me:

When the speed is set to 500K the data goes out at 500K regardless of the rating of the adapter. In my case all 3 of the old adapters that I have work fine at the 500K speed even though the adapters are not rated for that speed. If the adapter were to cause problems I would expect pixels to stick or bit a bit erratic but I would not expect it to cause lag. Nevertheless it would be worthwhile to get the high speed adapters just to make sure that is not part of the problem.

I know that the 115 speed did very little to help my lag but the 500k switch sure did and I have the old adapter.

From some previous comments on the forum, yes, the "low speed" adapters will sometimes work at 500K speed - but not always.  I remember that some people have said a low speed adapter worked for them at high speed and some said it did not work.  I don't know the details of their networks, or the differences in the adapters, but if I were to take a guess, the primary difference is going to be the ability to tolerate poor conditions - for example a longer network, etc.  For the $2.00 price difference, I won't buy anything but the red ones.  In fact, last year I was running two low speed networks for my landscape lighting (with low speed adapters).  I wanted to have a spare, and I needed a high speed adapter for the CCPs that I used for Christmas 2014, so I bought two high speed adapters, so my spare is a high speed adapter which I can use on my of my networks if I need it..