Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB/DMX—Where do I start?

MarshallFamilyChristmas

So I have one Residential 16 Channel AC Controller. I am going to buy one more. I want to also add some rgb elements too. I am planning on getting a 12 foot tall smart strip tree with 6 strips. I have found this link: http://www.holidaycoro.com/Smart-Pixel-LED-RGB-Strip-30-LEDs-m-50-Pixels-m-p/700.htm I would like to use these as my smart strips in the display. How exactly do I control it and what would I need? I have downloaded xLights Nutcracker and I have gotten it setup and I like it. But how to I tie it in to light o rama and how do I control? I also want to make mini trees with dumb nodes.

Edited by MarshallFamilyChristmas
  • Like 1

Those and all smart pixel strips need a pixel controller. The 16 channel A/C controllers will not control those. The A/C controllers are for regular light strings be it incans or LED's. If you go with those instead of the LOR CCR's you will need a controller like an e682. Those pixel strips run in DMX language. LOR software understands DMX and runs it great but you need to export your xlights sequence to the sequence editor and convert your channels to DMX and have enough universes to cover all the channels in your sequence.

Ron Boyd is an expert in this field, I would look for him on these forums and watch his videos he has made on YouTube or Vimeo, can't remember which site they are on. Also, Seasonal Entertainment has videos on their website explaining how to integrate DMX into LOR shows.

Good luck and have fun !  :)

Later,

Al 

Those and all smart pixel strips need a pixel controller. The 16 channel A/C controllers will not control those. The A/C controllers are for regular light strings be it incans or LED's. If you go with those instead of the LOR CCR's you will need a controller like an e682. Those pixel strips run in DMX language. LOR software understands DMX and runs it great but you need to export your xlights sequence to the sequence editor and convert your channels to DMX and have enough universes to cover all the channels in your sequence.

Ron Boyd is an expert in this field, I would look for him on these forums and watch his videos he has made on YouTube or Vimeo, can't remember which site they are on. Also, Seasonal Entertainment has videos on their website explaining how to integrate DMX into LOR shows.

Good luck and have fun !  :)

Later,

Al 

Thanks for the info!  I am purchasing a few SanDevices Controllers and upgrading my software license to advanced.  I have watched some videos and have a pretty good understanding on it.  If you have any further tips or anything feel free to leave them. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Robert :) 

Nutcracker is great for testing plus it can help you to create some pretty cool effects which you can export in an LOR file, then import into LOR. As you already know, you'll need the advanced license. Once you wrap your head around controlling the pixels via the pixel controller, you'll figure out that its a lot easier than it sounds. I've ordered a E682 from San Devices which won't be in stock till the end of the month, then ship out. I'll learn that one once I receive it. I'm using the JoshuaSystems ECG-P12S which works very similar and worked beautifully through the holidays. I suggest you going through all of the video tutorials from LOR which will give you most of what you need to know. From there, you'll have to learn how to configure the San Devices card and so on. To get your computer to talk to it, just like the P12S as well, your computer network output port, you can connect it to the card with a Cat5/6 cable. You may or may not wish to go through a GBSwitch first. I hear that the E682 card can go either way but again, I don't own one yet to verify. The computer port ideally needs to be in the same IP realm as the card or change the card's IP to one close to your computer's card. My computer has two TCPIP ports on it. One is configured for the internet access. The other is set too 10.10.10.50 "because" my P12S card's address is 10.10.10.10 therefore its easy for them to speak to each other.

If you are going to run an AC controller, you "must" have the USB/RS485 adapter plugged in and recognized by the HWU(Hardware Utility). You will be configuring your card's universes in LOR's network preferences either by their subroutine or via the sequence editor. Again, once you see how this works, it becomes easy.

The hard work comes with the sequencing of lights to music. Make no mistake, it takes time to accomplish. The more time you work on it, the better the show will appear. Picture in your head, the strings, pixels and etc that you are controlling and how you want what, to appear during each part of the song playing. Fades, twinkles, shimmers, on/off and etc...smart pixels you also have colors, color fades, shimmers, twinkles and so on. You are the artist of your show and your work, becomes a work of art in itself. No two are the same ever.

Consider the people seeing your show, audio to the yard and/or FM radio, frequency tune-to signs, outside speakers and so on...these are all things that come into play when creating your show.

Thanks! I am already creating sequences in LOR S3 and xLights.  I plan to do about 8 songs.

I know this is completely random, but how do you get the thing at the bottom showing how many lights and channels?