Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Extension Cord

James Hill

Hello all you blinky crazed hobby friends,

The addiction takes control!!! And planning for next year!!!

Curious, as to what wire to use to run from my controller to my led 'dumb' strips.

The longest run will be about 25 ft.  I have read some recommendations to AWG 22,

and I have read others using 4 conductor speaker wire (16/4 16 AWG Gauge)

ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-ft-In-Wall-16-4-16-AWG-Gauge-4-Conductor-Speaker-Wire-Cable-CL2-Bulk-250ft-/111050909479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19db266727

I live in northern Ontario, average Dec. temperatures range from -4C to -20C and snow.

Not sure if temp really plays any difference but just throwing it out there.

Any suggestions???

Would the wire on ebay work well, any problems? Am I not thinking of something to consider?

Thanks everyone!!!

I can't tell you how small of a gauge you can use, but the biggest I could see you ever needing would be 18 AWG.  I've used 22 AWG with no issues, but my longest run is about 15' and I use 12V RGB strips, so voltage drop isn't a concern.

So I would be ok with the AWG 16 speaker wire?

I would think so;

Just to be sure for my display; I set everything up and ran it with the wire months before I set it up outside; ran fine with no problems. 

I'm also using 5v rgb instead of 12v like George; but I did try my display with 22awg wire first, and it also ran fine; I was just concerned I may have problems I didn't forsee, so I went with larger 18awg wire.

Hello all you blinky crazed hobby friends,

The addiction takes control!!! And planning for next year!!!

Curious, as to what wire to use to run from my controller to my led 'dumb' strips.

The longest run will be about 25 ft.  I have read some recommendations to AWG 22,

and I have read others using 4 conductor speaker wire (16/4 16 AWG Gauge)

ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-ft-In-Wall-16-4-16-AWG-Gauge-4-Conductor-Speaker-Wire-Cable-CL2-Bulk-250ft-/111050909479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19db266727

I live in northern Ontario, average Dec. temperatures range from -4C to -20C and snow.

Not sure if temp really plays any difference but just throwing it out there.

Any suggestions???

Would the wire on ebay work well, any problems? Am I not thinking of something to consider?

Thanks everyone!!!

James,

This is a link a local to you (same Province) and a cheaper alternative for a Canadian purchaser using Canadian Pesos. I've purchased many items over the last few years and have always been happy with the product and service:

http://www.primecables.com/search_plus?commit=&locale=en&page=2&q=speaker+wire&utf8=%E2%9C%93

My Halloween show uses 6 10 watt floods and 7 modules each running through 25 feet of cat5 cable with no issues.

But if i did it over again i would use 16 or 18 gauge 4 conductor speaker wire for a nicer flexible install.

I use 16/4 Burial Speaker Wire with mine and my longest run is about 45'. I run it through my front yard landscaping lights. The rest of the runs are about 25' and I haven's seen any issues.

We carry 18awg 4wire cables from 10ft to 40ft. The ends come with waterproof connectors. Also have the pigtails for the dumb lights and controllers so it's all plug-n-play.

Will ship to Canada. UPS raised their rates this year a lot so we are looking to switch...USPS or FedEx.

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/Waterproof-Cables_c28.htm

• Like 1

I've used 4 conductor wire for trailers; weatherproof and the larger the gage wire, the better.

Best to use a water resistant heat shrink with 3:1 shrink ratio for a much better seal.

Kevin's cords are great too.

Edited by Ken Benedict

My longest run will be well over 100 feet. I have been told it should not be a problem.

Hmmmm.....that depends on what you're powering. 

Lets just say it is 100ft, using 18AWG wire, power source is 12V DC and load is 3A (Say a 5M RGB Dumb Strip). Considering voltage drop (-3.83V DC), at the end of the 100ft cable your voltage is 8.17V DC (31.92% loss).  I believe the minimum voltage you want for a 12V strip is 9V before you have issues. And you would want that 9V at the end of your strip....not start. You are injecting 8.17V at the beginning of the strip....below the min. The strip would not work at all or under power dimming the LEDs brightness. However, you can compensate the voltage drop but adjusting the voltage on the power supply (if available). If you adjusted the power supply to say 14V DC, then your voltage at the end of the 100ft run would be 10.17V DC. Enough to power the strip, but enough for the whole strip?? Maybe. Depends on what the voltage drop of the strip. But be careful adjusting the power supply. If you are powering something else from the same power source that is only 10ft away....you could overdrive it causing damaging. 80ft is the max I personally ran and that was to power a 10W flood.

Google "Voltage Drop Calculator" 

These numbers are estimate based of calculation and not actual. Your strip may require less amps. The best and fool proof way is to actually test with a meter. 

For long runs you can use a 24volt power supply and a step down 24volt to 12volt converter at the end.  the converters run about 9 bucks apiece. Really helps in voltage drop issue.

We carry 18awg 4wire cables from 10ft to 40ft. The ends come with waterproof connectors. Also have the pigtails for the dumb lights and controllers so it's all plug-n-play.

Will ship to Canada. UPS raised their rates this year a lot so we are looking to switch...USPS or FedEx.

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/Waterproof-Cables_c28.htm

Is this also for your dumb RGB strips that go for $30.95 currently? I'm looking at your pictures and I can't see the pins very well... Also, is there a way I can buy RGB dumb strips and a 12vDC power supply and hook the two together without having to buy the CMB-24D card? I just want to see in person if I really like the RGB strips or not. Thanks!

If your looking for dumb strips. Look at Dyi led express

That's Diy led express Typo on last post

Dennis,

Thanks for your input. I;m buying my dumb strips from CLD, but just wanted to know if I can connect the power supply without the controller... I have resolved this though. Thanks again.