Light-O-Rama Forums

Vampire plugs ... difficult to separate. Solution?

Rick Hughes

Alas, the entire display has been dismantled and is in the garage awaiting some refurbishment TLC before final storage.

This year I had many pairs of vampire plugs which were difficult to separate because over the years the plug blades have built up some corrosion from the elements.

I'm wondering if a spritz of WD40 might be helpful, and whether it would be better to do this now when I put them into storage, later when I reinstall them in the yard, or both?

Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions? I always appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience from this community.

Ironically, the most challenging connections to separate seem to be a vampire plug into a vampire receptacle. I never thought of trying WD40. Keep us posted.

On a side note wd-40 is great for waterproofing your connections. It drives/keeps water out.....as its name suggests wd-40=water displacement perfected on the 40th try.

You would be better off using a silicone dielectric grease.  it is more of a protectant than WD-40.  Plus you can use it on everything in the display, including you're c-7/9 sockets.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-Tube-Silicone-Hi-Dielectric-Vacuum-Grease-91003/202932695

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies.

I'd never heard of dielecric silicone grease ... but followed the link to Home Depot, and then read reviews on Amazon and it seems just what I need.

I'm going to get some and apply to a few connections now as a "test" ... if it seems "the" solution I can make it a late Spring/early Summer project to do the rest of them.

Again, proves the valuable knowledge of this community.

• 3 months later...

just make sure if you have halogen lights... do not... repeat do not get any on the bulb...

if you do be super careful and clean it all off or within seconds of turning it on it will burn out... halogen bulbs wil blow out even from just touching them with your fingers when installing them.