Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar for string lights

Slowpoke

Thanks for the feedback James. Have read on here mostly about people having issues but most seemed to be dealing with lighting options other than the basic string light . I am looking to see if it is something that will really help a newbie along or not . If it puts down a decent sequence for me , even if it needs a lil tweeking , it's worth having .

I use superstar for all my sequencing. I do have rgb but I use superstar to sequence my non rgb as well.

Saves a ton of time. And that is without using the autosequencer. It does take a little time to get used to...but once you do you will never look back.

The auto sequencer works ok. I use it sparingly. And I don't use it for my entire yard at any given time. For example, if I want something to be sequenced to the bass drum, I can auto sequence that. Simple and fast I now export that. Then do the next portion. It comes out a lot nicer than trying to auto sequence the entire yard. At least to me.

But, don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself. Superstar is fully functional with the exception of export. So try to do auto sequence however you wish, but if you want to keep sections of a song be sure to save each section. So if you do purchase a license these can be exported.

Exporting to the sequence editor is required to play any superstar created sequence in your show. You can combine several superstar sequences by copy and pasting into a "master" non-superstar sequence or just use the one created by your export.

Also, each superstar ccr license is good for 150 channels. That is 1 ccr or any other 150 channels you wish.

To use superstar you must know how to use visualizer. Your yard will be imported into superstar with this file otherwise you will just see grids. Yes, you could use just the grids....but that is designed for ccr trees and matrixes. If you want to use it for your string lights, you will need to import your visualizer file.

Good luck,

Sax

thanks Sax , great tips . i'm going to get it and watch the tutorial videos .didn't realize there was a trial download but am getting it today . would be totally lost without the help I am finding on this forum .

I use superstar for all my sequencing. I do have rgb but I use superstar to sequence my non rgb as well.

Saves a ton of time. And that is without using the autosequencer. It does take a little time to get used to...but once you do you will never look back.

The auto sequencer works ok. I use it sparingly. And I don't use it for my entire yard at any given time. For example, if I want something to be sequenced to the bass drum, I can auto sequence that. Simple and fast I now export that. Then do the next portion. It comes out a lot nicer than trying to auto sequence the entire yard. At least to me.

But, don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself. Superstar is fully functional with the exception of export. So try to do auto sequence however you wish, but if you want to keep sections of a song be sure to save each section. So if you do purchase a license these can be exported.

Exporting to the sequence editor is required to play any superstar created sequence in your show. You can combine several superstar sequences by copy and pasting into a "master" non-superstar sequence or just use the one created by your export.

Also, each superstar ccr license is good for 150 channels. That is 1 ccr or any other 150 channels you wish.

To use superstar you must know how to use visualizer. Your yard will be imported into superstar with this file otherwise you will just see grids. Yes, you could use just the grids....but that is designed for ccr trees and matrixes. If you want to use it for your string lights, you will need to import your visualizer file.

Good luck,

Sax

so if i understand you correct, i can let SS do all the heavy lifting and then move it to the sequence editor?  Do you have to have a visualizer file to use?  how good is the tutorials on it?

The way superstar works is you create the sequence in superstar. Once complete you export it to sequence editor to play in your show. You can not play superstar files in your show editor and must use the non superstar sequence.

You can do this several ways.

1. Export to sequence editor. Save it and play. The disadvantage here is you sometimes have blank channels exported so you have channels that mean nothing. Which really isn't a big deal I guess...but I like my sequences to be neat. I also use motors. And for motors I don't use superstar to sequence them. I could but don't. Thirdly, I do singing faces. I use the sequence editor for this.

2. Export and then copy into a master sequence editor file. This is how I do it. I don't have all my elements in superstar such as the motors and faces and such. My original reason was due to the number of channels I could export. Taking those things out allowed me to sequence the hard stuff in superstar. I have a master channel template and after superstar export I start a new sequence with this template and copy and paste into it. I use groups and this makes it easier.

3. Export several portions of superstar sequences and paste. When I had a smaller license then I had elements I was forced to do this. You have to sequence the song several times with this method. Now, I only do this when I want to add an auto sequence portion to get effects that are too time consuming to do manually. You would also do this if your elements out number the max license you can purchase. Pixels can cause this situation. So, you have to have a master channel template and you copy and paste portions to make a complete sequence.

So, when you export a sequence, superstar takes non ccr or ccp elements and send the data out as each channel. For ccr and ccp elements, you get the 50 rgb channels plus all the macro channels.

So if I have a dmx 50 pixel strip it will output as 150 channels and not 50 rgb channels. Now, I can make rgb channels first and then copy and paste but by having a master channel template I can copy these single channels and paste it into the new sequence and those 3 rgb channels are created. I do not have to make them rgb channels first. I hope that makes sense as this is a very time saving step. In fact, for my 90 pixel elements I group them as 270 channels after export and then copy and paste into the master. The rgb channels are made automatically. (Well, the channels just paste into the template 1-1. So it isn't automatic but appears as such since I did not actually make them rgb channels).

Visualizer is needed simply to import your yard into superstar. Otherwise superstar is just grids that you assign ccr or ccp to. By importing your visualizer into superstar you will see your yard in superstar. I have my superstar visualizer different than my original. I set it up so that my lines in superstar line up better. Superstar puts your elements on grids and lines when you import your visualizer file. I try to make it easier for me to program by moving my elements. Example, I want my cherry tree pixels to have space around them which will allow me to program morphs easier. So I keep it clear by moving the elements around it further away. This allows me to morph just those pixels.

Once you start importing your visualizer files you will see what I mean.

Superstar allows you to import two files like this...one for your programming and one for your real one. This is the "import pair" feature.

The tutorials are pretty good. If you have been using the regular sequencer for awhile it will take some time to adjust. The one thing that gave me grief was that you can't scroll left and right on the sequence. You have to use the arrows up top. This takes time to get used too. Yes, yelling "stupid thing" might make you feel better each time you come across this but in time you will forget that scroll. Nudging when your timing is off a touch and adding or subtracting elements from an effect or changing colors more than makes up for the scrolling.

It took me 2 songs to get hooked. And even though it is an expense I originally thought wasn't worthy I have upgraded to allow me to complete songs one pass. I never want to be without superstar as it saves soooooo much time.

One more note. Superstar will export the rgb color weird. There is a reason why explained in the superstar sticky portion of these forums. You can turn that off in options. Just select "raw" as your dmx export. Again, this is all explained in that sticky.

I have sequenced 1 song so far with superstar and I to do all of my elements in it. It is very easy and is much quicker than sequence editor. It also has a viseffect tool that is very simple to use and is a very cool feature. When doing rgb it only takes a little time to get used to the other tools such as shockwave, spiral, and fan. I plan on upgrading to 24 ccr version real soon and that will more than cover all my channels and leave a little extra for expansion in the future. Some people complain of the price for superstar but I like the time savings it gives me. I have only exported 1 sequence from superstar into the sequence editor and it worked like a charm. I highly recommend it even for the price.....also I have not used the auto sequence feature yet but may when I feel the need to. 

I used Superstar a great deal this past Christmas. The upside: sequencing was much quicker than it otherwise may have been. The downside: some of the quick changes weren't quite to my liking. However, it is a great tool and was well worth the expense. :)

Definately putting superstar on my list . Being a newbie I got enough to do with getting this all put together . If I can save some time and effort sequencing the string lights that will allow more time for getting the singing tree sequenced right . Think I've got the plan together now just need to get it all ordered. Everyone's input sure does help. Thanks.

a bit confused when were talking about visualizer file. do you mean we import the picture of our house and then add in elements to the location we desire? or if I am using last years visualizer file that has my house with the mega tree, mini trees and so on already on there.... I would upload that into SS?

meaning do I draw in my Mega tree in SS or just upload what I already did in visualizer?

Thanks for the calcification

It will all make sense once you start superstar. And anyone can start superstar and try it for free...you just won't be able to export your creation unless you have a license. But you can create and see your creation within superstar. You can save it. And you can export it later if you decide to purchase a license.

When you start superstar you will see a grid and you will see a ccr tree. If this is what you want to sequence then you are good to go. Within superstar you can create more ccr trees or ccr matrixes. Maybe some arches. But you will be creating something brand new. After you complete your sequence to your liking, you would then export it and copy/paste it into your sequence editor.

This would work. But most people have more to their display than just ccr trees or matrixes. So if you want to use superstar for your entire display you can import your visualizer file into superstar. Once you do that then you no longer will see the ccr tree but you will see your visualizer layout in superstar. You will also see each bulb or control point become a block in a grid. A ccr is 50 blocks on a row. A string light is one block on the grid. If that string light has 500 bulbs but all those bulbs are controlled by just one LOR AC channel...it will be one block. An rgb dumb light that typically has 3 channel control be it LOR dc or dmx....one block.

Now when you import your file, superstar will try to line things up in their same order. Where the elements are located in your visualizer file determines how the grid blocks are lined up. In an imported horizontal visualizer file (you choose horizontal or vertical when you do your import) the grid with all your elements is on top with a picture of all your elements on the bottom half of your screen. You will see the bulbs of your visualizer file just no picture.

Now, there is one problem with superstar that you need to be aware of. You can't seperate these. The grid and picture will be on one computer screen. So if you have a large mega tree with many channels, it will cause the entire screen to shrink. Typically in sequence editor, since I have 2 monitors, I have the sequence editor on one monitor with visualizer on the other. I can see real time easily with this setup. But in superstar it all fits on one screen. Yes, it can get crowded.

But, once you import your visualizer file you will be able to select which elements by either the grid or the actual picture you imported. Morphs are controlled either way as well. One of my favorite features of superstar is the ability to add or subtract elements easily.

Say I put a fade in using my left pumpkin going from red to green with some white twinkle at the end. It is timed perfectly on the beat....if it wasn't I could just nudge it...now I think, that would look better if both left and right did that. I can quickly add that by selecting the programmed sequence line and selecting the right pumpkin....or any other element I wanted. Now it does the same thing as the left. You will see it highlighted in the grid and on the visualizer picture. Don't like an element? You can just remove that one element without effecting the rest or reprogramming it.

One last note. I have seperate superstar and regular sequence editor visualizer files. I took my yard and rearranged the elements to help them line up better in the superstar grid. Since I use horizontal import, I try to keep the elements aligned horizontally but rearrange them vertically. For example, even though my pumpkins are all over the place in the yard, in superstar they are aligned as one grid line. Makes programming easier for me.

So don't be afraid to experiment with element placement. Just keep your original file and then make a new one for superstar.

a bit confused when were talking about visualizer file. do you mean we import the picture of our house and then add in elements to the location we desire? or if I am using last years visualizer file that has my house with the mega tree, mini trees and so on already on there.... I would upload that into SS?

meaning do I draw in my Mega tree in SS or just upload what I already did in visualizer?

Thanks for the calcification

Try importing. I don't have a mega tree so I don't know how it will align. But try importing with vertical. I have seen many people using superstar for their mega trees so I know it will work but it is all about how it aligns with the grid.

You can try to import horizontally too but it might shrink your visual so small you won't be able to control or see each bulb. But the idea is you don't have to redo your work. Import will do the work for you.

It will all make sense once you start superstar. And anyone can start superstar and try it for free...you just won't be able to export your creation unless you have a license. But you can create and see your creation within superstar. You can save it. And you can export it later if you decide to purchase a license.

When you start superstar you will see a grid and you will see a ccr tree. If this is what you want to sequence then you are good to go. Within superstar you can create more ccr trees or ccr matrixes. Maybe some arches. But you will be creating something brand new. After you complete your sequence to your liking, you would then export it and copy/paste it into your sequence editor.

This would work. But most people have more to their display than just ccr trees or matrixes. So if you want to use superstar for your entire display you can import your visualizer file into superstar. Once you do that then you no longer will see the ccr tree but you will see your visualizer layout in superstar. You will also see each bulb or control point become a block in a grid. A ccr is 50 blocks on a row. A string light is one block on the grid. If that string light has 500 bulbs but all those bulbs are controlled by just one LOR AC channel...it will be one block. An rgb dumb light that typically has 3 channel control be it LOR dc or dmx....one block.

Now when you import your file, superstar will try to line things up in their same order. Where the elements are located in your visualizer file determines how the grid blocks are lined up. In an imported horizontal visualizer file (you choose horizontal or vertical when you do your import) the grid with all your elements is on top with a picture of all your elements on the bottom half of your screen. You will see the bulbs of your visualizer file just no picture.

Now, there is one problem with superstar that you need to be aware of. You can't seperate these. The grid and picture will be on one computer screen. So if you have a large mega tree with many channels, it will cause the entire screen to shrink. Typically in sequence editor, since I have 2 monitors, I have the sequence editor on one monitor with visualizer on the other. I can see real time easily with this setup. But in superstar it all fits on one screen. Yes, it can get crowded.

But, once you import your visualizer file you will be able to select which elements by either the grid or the actual picture you imported. Morphs are controlled either way as well. One of my favorite features of superstar is the ability to add or subtract elements easily.

Say I put a fade in using my left pumpkin going from red to green with some white twinkle at the end. It is timed perfectly on the beat....if it wasn't I could just nudge it...now I think, that would look better if both left and right did that. I can quickly add that by selecting the programmed sequence line and selecting the right pumpkin....or any other element I wanted. Now it does the same thing as the left. You will see it highlighted in the grid and on the visualizer picture. Don't like an element? You can just remove that one element without effecting the rest or reprogramming it.

One last note. I have seperate superstar and regular sequence editor visualizer files. I took my yard and rearranged the elements to help them line up better in the superstar grid. Since I use horizontal import, I try to keep the elements aligned horizontally but rearrange them vertically. For example, even though my pumpkins are all over the place in the yard, in superstar they are aligned as one grid line. Makes programming easier for me.

So don't be afraid to experiment with element placement. Just keep your original file and then make a new one for superstar.

if initially i am using regular light strings will that be more difficult to create?

No. Easier. Just import your visualizer file into superstar.

If you are asking about building a visualizer file, they all are easy. Just add a string and put a channel ID on it and that's it.