Light-O-Rama Forums

New and need smart rgb software help..

mcowholesale

Hi, Im Ollie from Chandler, AZ and new to sport. I need help on software. My question is, I am just starting, and my first piece of equipment is a PS1 from san devices. I will be using 12 CCP's. What software do I need? I see the superstar software limits you at 40 ccr's and 6000 channels. What do I do if I want to run more than 40 ccr's? Is there an alternative to superstar add on, or would you reccomend against it. I only plan on using dumb rgb and smart pixels..... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.....

I'm not familiar with the PS1 from SanDevices so I can't advise you there. You don't have to have SS to edit although it would make it easier. You can use programs like xLights or RGB Studio and probably lots of others although those are for pixels/nodes which are almost the same as CCP's or CCR's. If you are going to use dumb RGB or smart RGB, those controllers are different...smart pixels/nodes use E1.31 protocol as one possibility which is DMX over TCPIP. Its a lot easier than it sounds. Also you'll need a power supply. Dumb strips, you can easily use LOR's CMB24 DC controller and a power supply. I would recommend the advanced license right off the start although LOR should be coming out with new software shortly and we have no clue yet, what the changes will be too it. You might wish to wait a bit on the software but truly, I'm not sure if that's smart or not.

Thanks for the help. The ps1 is just a complete ready to run e682 controller. Im gonna go with the advanced s3 software from lor and the superstar add on... again thanks for clearing it up for a newbie... ☺

I live "down the road" from you in Casa Grande.  I use pixels with both the E682 and the J1Sys controllers.  Haven't used SuperStar yet, but have used XLights/Nutcracker.  If you get stumped, I might be able to advise/help you out.

With superstar you don't have to program your entire display at once. Sure, it might be easier, but maybe not.

For example, if I had a pixel grid I might seperate this from my entire display to allow me to better focus on just this grid. Or a pixel tree. It is easy to get distracted in a sequence and by pulling these elements out I can truly program and sequence those items.

Now, you might find it more beneficial seeing the entire display at once. You can do that as with superstar, once you finish your sequence you have to export it to the sequencer. Then you can combine all the elements and view from there.

Of course visualizer has element limitations so on top of the superstar limit you might run into the visualizer limit.

Bottom line, to work around your channel limits in superstar you would seperate the number of elements or CCRs you have setup in superstar and sequence the song as many different times as necessary to sequence all of your elements.