Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Light Help

gbarnes27

Just wanting to create a Mega Tree for the upcoming year and wondered if the lights I am thinking of getting are good enough to do all the text and graphics that are in most of the sequences that are out there.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/700-ps.htm?

Thanks

Greg

I don't think they are good enough in my opinion. Only 30 led's over 16.5 feet makes for not so great resolution for animation. I would suggest 50 led's for that distance.

These are 30 leds per meter and 10 pixels per meter so 150 leds / 50 pixels per 5 meters. These are what I plan to buy.

Greg,

Thanks for the link. I was looking for some of these, but without the high shipping cost. His prebuy price is the same as Ray's daily price. But about $6.50 for 4 days shipping sure does beat Ray's. Although I have to wait till about May to get them. But in no rush, so it was a great deal for me. Thanks for sharing the link. BTW I agree with mfrost55. Now these are flexible. So they either need to be mounted on some pipe or some way to keep them rigid and not flopping around in the wind. That any if not mounted to something rigid they will sag and make a sloppy tree.

Edited by Max-Paul

If you look at any of the CCR tree video's you can get an idea  since these will have the same number of pixels and nodes and CCR's. If you want better resolution you will need to go to the 30 pixel per meter 5 volt strips (3 times the number of channels  and addressable pixels (450 channels) or 60 pixel per meter (5 volt) 6 times the channels. (900 channels for a 5 meter strip -vs- 150 channels per 5 meter strip).

Edited by jerrymac

I used these exact ones with Advatek controller this year.  Using Dave's sequences, the final result was spectacular.  Doing this now for the 3rd year, I never had so many people drop off thank you notes, and other items of appreciation for the display.

Hey Greg. I'm looking to do a mega tree this year. I've been thinking about pixels, bullet style. This way I can use James' strips.

What are your guys thoughts on pixels vs strip for a tree 10' using 16 strips?

Thanks.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?37000-2015-MegaTree-12mm-Pixel-RGB-Mounting-Strips-Round-1

post-15850-142128791178_thumb.jpg

These are 30 leds per meter and 10 pixels per meter so 150 leds / 50 pixels per 5 meters. These are what I plan to buy.

Those should work nicely then