Light-O-Rama Forums

Floodlight preheat set intensity

terrypowerz

I am wondering what level to use "set intensity" as a backround during off events to act as a preheat on 100 watt incandescent floods for fast response during a sequence?
I was leaning toward 20% but don't want the bulbs actually emitting any light, but I am not sure that 10% is sufficient.

Oh, and I am not worried about the lifespan... (some of mine are three years old)
I am just looking for them to "pop" on almost instantly during short events! ;)

Anyone experiment with this enough to recommend a good value?

Interesting -- this never even occurred to me. I just use incandesent floods as-is.

I would be interested to know what your tests show.

Push Eject wrote:

So... explain to me how you use this, please.

Cheers,
Charlie

Charlie,
There are 2 uses for this...

The first (which is not what I am using it for) is used in stage lighting where the bulbs can be quite expensive so extending the life on them is an advantage. The preheat is used to help warm the filament so that when they are called to be turned "on" there will not be as much thermal shock going from cold to hot.

The second reason (which I am interested in) is keeping the filament warmed up so that it will respond quicker when switched "on".
I have a sequence that has some pretty fast events that I would like to use them for so to help improve their response time to rapid "on" events (bigger filaments take longer to heat up... and longer to cool down also) I will apply a "backround" effect of "set intensity" of 10% which will keep the flood filament from ever being all the way off in hopes of it popping to full brightness just a tad quicker.
If you have a real short "on" event and compare a string of minis to a flood you will see a big difference in how bright the "on" event is due to the lag of having to heat the bigger filament in the flood. If the event is short enough you may not even see the flood come on.
Just a side note: LEDs have no filament to heat so they tend to respond the fastest. That is one of the reasons they look so much different on "shimmer" :)

Hope that helps!
Terry

Terry, that was a great reply - I totally get it and am going to have to do a background "on" on several sequences now!

Thanks,
Charlie