Light-O-Rama Forums

Opinions?

Dcroc

I'm thinking pixals next year.  Problem is there are so many choices.  Looking at going with 1.31.  I really do not want to be assembling circut boards, but i am also not made of money. What is a good, cheaper place to start that will allow expansion in the future? I have looked at a pixal tree kit that comes with the e682 already assembled and 16 pixal strings.  It comes in a $800.  Is there a cheaper way to obtain this without having to build the circut board?  I don't mind a little soldering.  Just do not want a bag of components and a printed board.

Edited by Dcroc

Holidaycoro is coming up with a $160 controller and a Pixlite16 (5000+channels+4rs485) is $225. 50-node pixels strings less than $20. Some wire and 3 solders per string. They have good videos on How To.

I built my whole pixel tree including all hardware for like $700 something +/- a hair. Controller was $225 I think and I never soldered a thing. Had to mount it and a power supply in an enclosure and provide the wiring to and from it. I found it easy to do and once you wrap your head around it, its easy to understand too

When you say "channels", what exactly is that?  Is each RGB pixal in a smart string 3 channels? 

Edited by Dcroc

yes.

0ne (smart)pixel is 3 channels = red, green, blue

so a string of 50 (smart)pixels requires 150 channels

I am guessing that a string of dumb RGBs would be 3 channels total?

So, 1 controller with 8 channels would actually only control a max of 2 strips with 2 channels to spare.  Correct? 

No, A dumb RGB controller or also called a DC controller such as the LOR CMB24, has 24 channels in that case, or 8 RGB groups or 8 strips, sets of strips and so on. It actually can run 24 DC channels but only individual channels. Dumb RGB works by constantly applying +12VDC but the controller turns on/off/ramps -12VDC on 24 channels. Each Dumb RGB strip runs on 3 channels, if you wish to obtain all the possible color combinations from the strip. 

What kind of distance can I get from one controller? Being DC, I would think the voltage drop per meter of wire between the strip and the control would be limiting to some degree?

When you asked about 8 channels, you're correct.  You could control 2 strips.  If you have access to older LOR DC controllers (either 8 or 16 channel models) they'll work just fine.  Just be sure to keep track of the amperage on each channel.

What kind of distance can I get from one controller? Being DC, I would think the voltage drop per meter of wire between the strip and the control would be limiting to some degree?

My longest run for an RGB strip from the controller is about 75 feet. I'm using 16/4 wire though. Voltage drop or line drop is certainly a concern on long runs which is why I used heavier gauge wire. Mine were on windows and the far ones compared to the close ones, they were all the same in brightness.

With DC heavier gauge is needed. And stranded. You can google it and get all the whys.

That said, with dumb rgb I am able to go 100' with awg 20 wire and have no issues with 100 bullet bulbs.

I get most of my rgb from Ray and I use his extension cables that come in 5, 10 and 25 ft increments. This cable is awg 18 and requires no soldering from me. I now use this cable just because it is easier to store.

The best advice I can give you is to always test first. Plan and then test.

Now smart pixels, wire length and type is much more important. And there are several posts on this. Depending on your controller you have different options. You can look at my content for posts about smart pixels cables, including one titled wire type does matter.

I think that I want to start with dumb strips for my windows, doors, and roof line.  That would be nine strips.  Thus I would need a dumb controller with 27 channels that will work with my LOR software, correct?.  Any opinions on where to start looking?

Edited by Dcroc

Wouldn't the heavier gauge cause more resistance, and thus, drop the voltage more?

Oh boy I got to take this one.

Which do you think has more resistance a fire hose or a garden hose to the flow of water?

• Like 1

I think that I want to start with dumb strips for my windows, doors, and roof line.  That would be nine strips.  Thus I would need a dumb controller with 27 channels that will work with my LOR software, correct?.  Any opinions on where to start looking?

Please do not plan on reinventing the wheel. There are 16 channel and 24 channel DC controllers. It appears you are thinking of 9 strips. Most economic way is to get two 16 DC channel controllers.  That would give you 5 strips per controller with one spare channel each. This gives you room to grow by one more strip. Now when I say strip, it could be several strips in series.

You can get a 27 channel dc controller that uses dmx. That would require you to have the advanced LOR sw license and to start a dmx network.

I try to have spare dc controller cards even though this card has never failed on me. I have had a ps fail on me so you should try to keep a spare one of those at least.

Be aware that this dmx card has less output current capability than a LOR dc card. When using led's this rarely causes issues but you should still calculate your requirements.

Adding a dmx network does complicate things a little, but dmx is easy enough to get going. Just need a dongle or a e1.31 device that outputs a dmx universe. Lots of info in this forum on the subject.

Easiest solution is the LOR dc cards. LOR also sells a package that includes 8 strips and the card.

I find LOR products to be the easiest, but also WAY over priced.  I have a little time, so I'm gonna do a lot of homework before I dive in.  Thinking about going with the LOR for dumb strips, and then start messing with DMX in the spring.  That way, if I haven't got the DMX figured out by next season, I still have the LOR RGB's added to the display.  I do have some electronics background (waaayyy back-ground), and am intrigued with the DYI end of it, but don't want to get into it with the pressure of having to have it ready by next season.  I still have a tone of other things I'm adding next year that will require major programming and building time.  Holidaycoro has 27 channel card that will be in it's presale at the end of the month that looks like it may be a good place to start with DMX.

Any thing I should know about lag time with the LOR DC controllers?

The E1.31 DMX over TCPIP is easy. I just ran both E1.31 on a JoshuaSystems P12S controller and LOR's CMB24 DC controller. There was no lag time at all.

Yeah, I really don't feel threatened by any of it. I know I can pick it up, especially with all the great help from here.  I just understand now that 10 months isn't a whole lot of time to expand the show.

My LOR CCRs show more lag than any of my dmx items. I have the CCRs right next to a 2811 pixel strip so I can notice it right away. Other people don't notice it so at least that.

Just know that the dmx card allows half the current of the LOR dc card. So plan accordingly.