Light-O-Rama Forums

i should have took it down sooner (storm)

portcity_gt

We had some 70mph winds come through last night. All in all i think most things are ok though, ill have to power up the lights when it stops raining to know for sure.

Inflatables

20150103_115707_zpskrawhjnd.jpg

My tune to sign is a goner.

20150103_115816_zpscvreq9vn.jpg

When i looked out the window during the storm, the mega tree was literally blowing sideways like a wind sock.

20150103_120534_zpsvybbottn.jpg

Ouch, sorry about the damage. Our hobby has enough challenges without the weather causing more grief.

So far all the inflatables came back on...even one that had quit working mid season. weird i know lol.

The mega tree straighten back out. But i still have to see if it works im worried it may have pulled the cat5 out.

Well with the exception of the sign and all the mini trees being unplugged it looks like everything survived.

Ive gotta wonder if a traditional mega would have held up as well.

20150103_134206_zpsjm96xvtz.jpg

My mounting method must be a good one.

20150103_134034_zps8ro3x8fw.jpg

20150103_134058_zpsmwcsanu7.jpg

Edited by portcity_gt

We had the same storm system last night- looks like we survived (but I don't have anything big like you do).

Uh.....that is my annual brown snow.

Id like to do some ground strings one year but it'd be near impossible with the leaves, they usually dont fall until after the display is up.

My megatrees have 4 steel guide wires just for that reason. Each of the mini-trees are tied to rebar as well as the taller trees. Even a few of the props and my tune-too signs are tied to rebar. The first two years, I got tired of having to tie, re-tie strings on them all..started using rebar.

Im still on the fence about next years mega....while this unorthodox build worked flawlessly i plan on almost doubling the height to 30 feet next year so i might build a conventional style with a pole in the center.

On my two megatrees, I use 1 inch black pipe in the middle which sets over a hammered in section of PVC just to keep the bottom from moving. The bottom piece of black pipe is screwed into a threaded thing which in turn is screwed down to a piece of wood which all sets over the piece of PVC in the ground. So all 15 feet of pipe with another threaded thing on top, guide wires from it up top to four corners and screwed in stakes. At the top is a pvc collar which I've got S-hooks in to hang the strings onto. So far, it hasn't come down. Took a lightening strike last year but that was it.

Edited by dgrant

• The topic was locked