Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 Strobes

sonoma

I will be adding strobes to my mega tree next year for the first time and needed some help with a few questions. The videos i've seen look like they are flashing all at different speeds which is a nice effect. My tree is not very tall only @ 15' which includes the star measuring 2' 

#1 what is the best way to run them inside the tree for the best effect? Straight up and down or some kind of a zig zag type pattern?

#2 what are good flash rates for the best effect? 1-2.  2-3.  or 3-4.  I bought 10 of the zenon c9's 2-3 flash rate type for testing see photo.

#3 do you need to use more than one channel to get them to start at a different tempo? Mine seem start at the same speed when power is first applied and then they start to change tempo when on the same chan for a period of time. Is this normal?

#4 how many total do you use in your tree? ie:10'=1 per foot; 20'= 2 per foot etc.

also if anyone has any set-up photos that show their strobes in the tree that could also help THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

post-12428-0-48430200-1420066857_thumb.j

The strobe you pictured has an "I" tube inside.  Strobes come with either an I tube or a U tube.  The U-tube models are noticeably brighter.

I use the same Xeon type strobes in my 10' spiral tree.

1) I run three guy ropes down inside the tree that I use to tie the strobes too. Strobes are just run around circular motion starting from the top and working way down to bottom.

2) these type of strobes fire off at no set rate, most fire off at once once power is supplied and then fire off at different times as power continues

3) one channel is all that's needed, I think if you had multiple channels they would all look the same as just one channel once power is set on to each channel

4)in my 10' spiral tree I have a 50' cord with 25 strobes set 2' apart each, it works perfect, looks great with lots of great comments. It's really your own preference but most people just are in awe over the strobes themselves!

I use the same Xeon type strobes in my 10' spiral tree.

1) I run three guy ropes down inside the tree that I use to tie the strobes too. Strobes are just run around circular motion starting from the top and working way down to bottom.

2) these type of strobes fire off at no set rate, most fire off at once once power is supplied and then fire off at different times as power continues

3) one channel is all that's needed, I think if you had multiple channels they would all look the same as just one channel once power is set on to each channel

4)in my 10' spiral tree I have a 50' cord with 25 strobes set 2' apart each, it works perfect, looks great with lots of great comments. It's really your own preference but most people just are in awe over the strobes themselves!

For my 35' mega tree I do the same thing. And I agree with all that was said.

But I don't run in circular motion. I run three different strands down. One on each side and one down the middle. But they are all on one channel.

I have about 30 of them. I will probably double it this year. The more the better in my book.

You want as much flash per second as you can get (2-3 or 3-4, or both for random look, although they go random after a few seconds).

I will provide photos if you remind me. It's late (News Years morning :) )

IMO you need lots of strobes. My front yard isn't very big, actually smaller than most of the displays I see. I had originally bought 130 xenon U tube strobes. The first time I got to see them in action I was disappointed. I ended up having to pay full price for another 100 I tube strobes at the last minute. This made it better but still not enough to give that " pop " I was looking for. Going to grab another 300 U tubes for next year!

sonoma

#3 - how long of a period of time?

How long you leave them on? I really think that is the sequencers preference. For me, it depends on the type and beat of the song. Some times it's very short like 1/2 a second and sometimes I have them on for a lot longer when it's at the end of the song. It's preference , and trial runs to you see what you like.

Oilmoney, I agree, a ton of strobes definitely has a great "pop" to it. I use 100 myself in groups of 25 on four different strings. Two in trees and two strewn along the grass. Sometimes I just flash one or two trees and sometimes all at same time. Usually at the end of a song it's all at same time...

• 3 weeks later...

For my 35' mega tree I do the same thing. And I agree with all that was said.

But I don't run in circular motion. I run three different strands down. One on each side and one down the middle. But they are all on one channel.

I have about 30 of them. I will probably double it this year. The more the better in my book.

You want as much flash per second as you can get (2-3 or 3-4, or both for random look, although they go random after a few seconds).

I will provide photos if you remind me. It's late (News Years morning :) )

If you could still send some photos of your set-up that would be great!!!!! thanks