Light-O-Rama Forums

Voice over, how too?

spoonjr

How do I do a voice over? I know if I can get a recording into the computer somewhere my wife can find it for me and save it where I need it to sequence it.

Ok, I dont know where to or If I need some special device. Technology is rough on me. downloaded LOR and had no clue where it went. surprised I got a show going.

Thanks, Doug

the way I did it was to take my voiceover and open it in audacity(a free program).  I then import a music file that I want to play in the background. During playback I will adjust the music volume so it's not louder than the voiceover. I then trim the music file so the time is the same as the voiceover and fade the music at the end.  I then export it as am mp3 file.  Lastly, I create a new music sequence in lor and sequence away. I had Kevin Dunn(aka The Demented Elf) do my voiceovers and put music to the background.  I guess in audacity you could activate a microphone and do your voiceover during playback of the music.  Then you could export it as a wav or mp3.

You'll need audio editing software. Lots of choices out there in shareware and freeware. Audition is one example.

They all work somewhat alike. Place your music file in one track. Record your voice ( you'll need a microphone) on another track. Use the controls to get the volumes adjusted. Then render it to a new MP3 file.

Load that file into LOR and sequence it.

I use Audacity. It can be found at http://audacity.sourceforge.net. I use it for mixing, editing, fading, voiceovers, creating elf voices, etc.

It has many different effects, editing capabilities, etc. You'll need the LLAME and MPEG add-ins also to process MPEG audio files.

And it's FREE!

Edited by HowardShank

+1 for Audacity.  I've been using it since 2007, and I've used it for darn near everything audio related in this hobby.  Editing songs, creating announcements, "splicing in" sound effects, even creating an announcement during a sequenced song - there's an awful lot you can do, and it's rock solid software.  Now's a great time of year to get started because you'll need to fool around with it a bit before you start feeling comfortable.  Once you do, it's a great feeling knowing you've got one of the most important things you need locked down and under control.

Also +1 for Audacity, although I don't use it! Because my career requires me to do digital mixing on an almost daily basis, I've graduated to more "pro" level software and hardware, but Audacity will definity do the job. One thing to keep in mind is that you need good hardware (mics, etc) because if you use a crappy mic to record your voice over, no amount of processing in the world will make it sound like anything other than a crappy mic!

• Like 1

Okay- if you aren't so picky on quality, I recorded my daughter reading a script while the polar express theme played in the background on my iPhone.

I emailed it to myself, converted it to an MP3 (free converter on line) and voila, voice-over done.

• 2 weeks later...