Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about software for pixels

packen

What software do I need to run a pixel tree along with my controllers? I bought my license in 2013 and I have a 5 seat license for Light-O-Rama Advanced with SuperStar Demo.
My license is good through version 3.15.

Will that work or do I need something in addition to that?

This is my second year using the CTB16PC controllers but I'm ready to step it up.

Any help is welcomed. I know nothing about RGB and pixels.

Thanks

I think the first thing you need to decide is what hardware you are going to use to control the pixels.  Are you using the LOR controllers or something from San Devices or J1SYS?  I don't have any CCRs, etc, but use E131 and controllers from both San Devices and J1SYS.  As for the software, I use both Super Star and Nutcracker to Sequence the pixels, just depends what I am trying to do and what effect I am after.

You will need a pixel controller to start with. It will require a power supply of your choice that matches the pixels strings/strips/nodes that you purchase  You can program the pixels using SuperStar but I'm not sure about the SS license in relation to pixels. I'm going to venture a wild guess that LOR will have changes coming this year when they might address this issue. I use premade sequences for CCR's, converted to pixels and imported into my sequences...from holidaysequences.com who are the Gods of CCR programming animation! I also use xLights and RGBStudio, both are currently free programs.

• Like 1

I'm looking into using the ECG-P12S controller as suggested by dgrant in the list he sent me. I found some videos on youtube about getting it set up and using it with LOR. I've got a lot to learn. Thanks for your help

I presently use the ECG-P12S along with  xlights/nutcracker software. Along with LOR,  Nutcracker is upgrading their software and offering a few more options than were possible in 2014. Highly rec checking them out as its free and there are lots of effects you can use to run your show. As was said earlier you can also purchase some CCR sequences and convert to DMX and run those on your pixel tree.. I ran a few this year and it was outstanding!!!!!! holidaysequences.com ...

Yes, I'm using the ECG-P12S card from JoshuaSystems and so far, its worked perfectly. I'm even running it via wireless and it working perfectly, so no complaints here. I expect this year, we'll be hearing a lot more about the few controllers out there like the San Devices card which is probably just as good as the P12S and most likely, we'll be hearing more about the Pixlite controllers.

I am using the Pixlite 16 with 12 Pixel strips that I got from Holiday Coro during the pre-season sale last year.  There was a bit of a learning curve with everything, but eventualy with the help of the Aussie Christmas forum guys, David at Holiday Coro and reading through this forum of course, I was finally successful on Christmas Eve!  Ever since, there have been lots of lookers stopping and checking out the new addition of the 17 foot high 12 string pixel tree.
I have not tried SuperStar yet, everything was done with Xlights.   Lots of good effects to start out with for FREE.