Light-O-Rama Forums

Take down tips for newbies

Jim Hans

I use 2 Microsoft tools religiously. Excel and OneNote. Excel manages all my controllers, and light inventory (Quartz Hill Christmas). This is my golden document.  I make a lot of notes per controller, like the firmware level (although this does not change often). I modified it to include a column that says how long the extension cord was for that channel. So going into the next year, all that info is already there. That should not change year to year, but what does is controller/vignette location as I change my display slightly every year. A sample is on my webpage. All my cords are stored by length, 6'-9', 12'-15', 25', 40', 50', 75',100'. That coupled with the yearly spreadsheet assists greatly in the following season.

That is where OneNote comes in handy. I have a yearly yard layout that identifies features/controllers. I make extensive notes on that notepage. What worked well, what did not. What needs repair, and plans for next year. I update this throughout the season as a running diatribe of items. I copy that page to the next season once that is over.

I find index cards taped to the bins is easier for me than a number/reference list. I store items by location or vignette. Since I have a Facebook page and a website, yearly pictures posted there serve as my history reference.

Icicle lights, RGB or incandescent, are hung on a carrier and then hung in the garage attic. Keeps the straight and organized.

Edited by zman