Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the best way to Video

Comopr2

I've been trying to video my lights this year with my own camera but can't seem to master it without the blurry effect. The first year I video'd my display I had a friend use his HD camcorder and it turned out OK other than we forgot to turn off the Auto focus and every now and then you could see it refocusing. We tried the video again this year and he was supposed to of turned off the Autofocus but it still looked really grainy for some reason. So I tried to make my own video before I take it all down and can't seem to get a good video quality. I've tried using a DSLR set to video setting and using the Manual Focus but it still seems to be out of focus or just has that blurry effect. I also have a street light directly across the street from my house which is right above me when I am recording. Could that be causing a problem with the amount of light being let in during the recording process? I also tried to use my GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition but that was a whole different issue. Had to get really close to the house and that just wasn't the best angle.

Any tips or best product to use to get a good video of my lights would be greatly helpful.

I also tried to use a GoPro Hero 3+ for my two posted videos, but found that the slow transitions from off to on were lost, and generally the video was grainy, I guess due to the inability to properly set the exposure.  I did set my FOV to narrow to remove some of the fish-eye effect.  The videos also suffered some in "processing" by YouTube when they were uploaded.

I know, no help to your question, but this topic is certainly one I will watch.

I'm retiring my trusty Flip Ultra and using a GoPro 4 silver that Santa brought.  While the GoPro's video is extremely sharp and detailed, I have yet to achieve the best balance of settings for the colors and brightness I want.

I've been trying to video my lights this year with my own camera but can't seem to master it without the blurry effect. The first year I video'd my display I had a friend use his HD camcorder and it turned out OK other than we forgot to turn off the Auto focus and every now and then you could see it refocusing. We tried the video again this year and he was supposed to of turned off the Autofocus but it still looked really grainy for some reason. So I tried to make my own video before I take it all down and can't seem to get a good video quality. I've tried using a DSLR set to video setting and using the Manual Focus but it still seems to be out of focus or just has that blurry effect. I also have a street light directly across the street from my house which is right above me when I am recording. Could that be causing a problem with the amount of light being let in during the recording process? I also tried to use my GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition but that was a whole different issue. Had to get really close to the house and that just wasn't the best angle.Any tips or best product to use to get a good video of my lights would be greatly helpful.

Here's some good info:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34714-video-taping-your-light-show/#entry318364

• The topic was locked