Light-O-Rama Forums

Used Controllers

snalye

Hello all!

I am a new LOR user and my budget it EXTREMELY low. I was wondering if there was anywhere or anyone who is selling used controllers. For my budget, they are just too expensive for me. Maybe sometime in the future I will have a bigger budget, but for now it is slim. I have started working on my show, but I don't have any controllers.

Thanks everyone for reading! Shine on!

My two cents: Stay away from used controllers! I was dumb enough to buy three last year that were advertised as 'in perfect working order'. When I went to use them this year I found a handful of bad triacs. Not a completely terrible issue, but enough to make me want to kick my own butt for buying used.

Wait until the spring and summer sales and buy new. You won't be sorry.

• Like 1

My two cents: Stay away from used controllers! I was dumb enough to buy three last year that were advertised as 'in perfect working order'. When I went to use them this year I found a handful of bad triacs. Not a completely terrible issue, but enough to make me want to kick my own butt for buying used.

Thank you for this!

I've had good luck with buying used controllers, I guess it depends on the honestly and integrity of the individual who's selling them

You can pretty much get a brand new controller at the spring sale for what most people sell them for used, I would wait unless you trust the person your buying from........ 

Buying used controllers from this forum, especially from a member with many posts, can help ease the thought of getting screwed. One reason is if they are active here, they cherish their reputation. That and they know what they have.

Hope that helps.

Tom

• Like 1

how much do they typically discount them in the spring and summer?

Do a search for past sales.

Usually the spring sale lasts about 5 minutes, maybe 5 seconds, depending on what they have to get rid of.

The summer (late) sale isn't bad but plan to wait a bit to get it.

Maybe 10 to 20% off regular price if I remember right. Depends on the product.

how much do they typically discount them in the spring and summer?Do a search for past sales.Usually the spring sale lasts about 5 minutes, maybe 5 seconds, depending on what they have to get rid of.The summer (late) sale isn't bad but plan to wait a bit to get it.Maybe 10 to 20% off regular price if I remember right. Depends on the product.

Spring sale this year had controllers left the next morning, I got a gen 3 controller where you install the wires for $175 plus shipping

Do a search for past sales.

Usually the spring sale lasts about 5 minutes, maybe 5 seconds, depending on what they have to get rid of.

The summer (late) sale isn't bad but plan to wait a bit to get it.

Maybe 10 to 20% off regular price if I remember right. Depends on the product.

Why so a short time?

Spring sale this year had controllers left the next morning, I got a gen 3 controller where you install the wires for $175 plus shipping

Then you got lucky they had enough to last that long.

Why so a short time?

Because they are clearing out their inventory from my understanding. Not much there.

The summer sale isn't that way.

Then you got lucky they had enough to last that long.

Why so a short time?

Because they are clearing out their inventory from my understanding. Not much there.

The summer sale isn't that way.

Oh I bought mine and my CCP's in the first 3 minutes lol, I'm just saying I know someone who bought some controllers the next morning. It's was the CCB's CCP's CCr's and rgb floods and stuff that were the hot ticket items

• 7 months later...

Does the sale start at midnight?

It starts sometime on Saturday. Remember: During the summer sale there are no purchase limits or restrictions of what you can order. Doesn't matter if your  first or last, all orders are equal.

It starts sometime on Saturday. Remember: During the summer sale there are no purchase limits or restrictions of what you can order. Doesn't matter if your  first or last, all orders are equal.

However, the earlier you order the earlier you'll receive your stuff - especially true if you forsake the try for free thing.

I am also a newbie with a budget. I bought 4 controllers this year. The first two, I bought used on Ebay from a guy in Canada. Got lucky, as they tested perfectly. Problem is I thought I was getting a deal buying them for $200 each, (since I noticed the retail price was $260 each, and many of the used controllers were going on Ebay for full price or more!).

I made the mistake of getting overly excited about getting started and was not aware of the incredible discounts in the spring and summer sales.   I bought 2 more controllers during the spring sale BRAND NEW for $175 each!  Patience is a virtue!  The only extra work I had to do was attach the cords, which required only a screw driver and about 30 minutes of my time.  No soldering, no complicated computer knowledge.  In you can install a light switch or a ceiling fan, you can install the controller cords without instructions.

It is true that the spring sale sees a lot of items sell out quickly.  But the summer sale still has prices on new controllers you won't find on used Ebay equipment.  I believe they offer the same controllers I got for $190 each.  Brand new, no need to worry about bad triacs, etc.  LOR has one of the best warranty programs around!

Also, on the issue of being on a budget.  I don't normally advocate going into debt for anything, but if you pay for your summer sale purchases with Paypal, they offer a 6 months no payments, no interest financing on any purchase over $99.  That's what I did for my spring sale controllers and paid them off a little each month.  Didn't pay a dime in interest!  Just a suggestion, if oyu want to take advantage of the low prices now.  After the summer sale, controllers will be at full price again until the next spring sale in April.