Light-O-Rama Forums

Error 1931

cenote

Had some problems with my show machine and re-formatted my c drive. While installing LOR 2.0.8 software, I get Error 1931 "can't update file winsystem32dx8vb.dll" locked for other system. Any thoughts on this error, and does it effect anything? The only I noticed, is when I go to the veiw channel config in tools, I can not see any other channels other than what fits on the screen. Does not have an up/down arrow on the right side of window. Is this Normal in older versions of windows?

I am using Windows XP, but not second edition on this machine. Don't want to connect to internet for updates. But have windows media player 10 in it. LOR 2.0.8 working perfect (knock on wood) on my high end machine.

Chuck N

Chuck,

This error happened because the InstallShield was trying to update the system file while there was another program using it. The Installer gave an error and ended the installing. Were you installing the software while there was another application running like the LOR Control Pannel for example?

NgocHong,

NgocHong wrote:

Were you installing the software while there was another application running like the LOR Control Pannel for example?

I tried twice, and made sure there are no other programs running in background except the essential systray and a few others. This machine has no other programs installed into other than LOR, and the manager in the tray wasn't running. I am thinking it might be something to do with version 1 of xp and not second edition.

LOR 2.0.8 is still running flawless on this machine every night automatically. :):):)

Chuck,

To prevent the other software to install the system file, Microsoft put the new Window File Protection (WFP) in Window Me, 2000, XP, and later. In your case, Win 2000 system files are all protected by this WFP and will not let any software to update the system file. So when you install the LOR, the system compare the version from your system and from LOR which indicated that your version is older than the LOR version, the system will give this error to let the user to know that it is time the system need to update with the latest service pack. So to solve this issue, your system need an update.

NgocHong