Light-O-Rama Forums

Our First Video for 2014; and Life after the Light Fight

randallr

We probably bit off more than we could chew this year! Deciding to replace ~187k minis that comprised our yard grid and 70' mega-tree. We were far from done when it was time for the big 'reveal' for our judging on "The Great Christmas Light Fight". As that day approached we had to keep making decisions on what to cut and what to focus on trying to finish. In the end, I'm proud the wear my new shirt that my wife made for us that says "If you can't see it from space, it ain't worth doing." I just wanted yall to know that I'm not really a redneck, I just play one on TV. LOL

Here's the first video of the 'more' finished display:

• Like 1

I haven't been to space, so can't vouch for you there.

I however can see you from Oklahoma City and it's an awesome show.

As a military father, thank you for the tribute. My youngest son is in the Army and will not be home this Christmas. It's great to know people like you and your family still understand and appreciate the sacrifice by all who serve.

Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas

I'm from Lovington, not far from you. So I've been a fan of your display for a few years now. Can you say again what you used on your mega tree...that wrapped your lights to create the solid tube look?

It's white 3/4" split wire-loom. Got the idea from one of Brian's videos on SuperStar Lights. Ziptie'ing each bulb (12,800 on the tree alone) was the killer. We ran a common to each end and ran 18/5 heavy sprinkler wire to the middle, and liquid taped + heat shrinked those connections. Since we have always connected lights at the top, we decided to come out of the wireloom 8' from the top and come over to connect to the wiring harnesses there. I wasn't really thinking about the 32 350w power supplies, that needed to be just a few feet away to keep the amps down. I think the 4 enclosures weighed about 170 lbs total. But the bigger problem- they ended up being in the way when I need to go up and work on stuff!

As always, I will find several wrong ways to do things first.   

Great job Randall, on the show and the display.

Myself being retired military of 26 years, I can appreciate that song and your display very much.

As a display owner myself, I respect it very much.

Super great work done there!!!

Thank you!!!

Tom

Nice to see another implementation of Brian's SuperStar sequence.  I use that song as well.  I was never in the military, but my dad served in the Coast Guard in WW2, and the Navy during Korea.  I have great respect for all of our armed forces.

BTW, although it's a little hard to tell in the small photo, but the bottom of those three flags on my flagpole is an Army National Guard flag which I flew while a nephew was in Afcrapistan (his name for it).

• Like 1

Thanks to all of those who've served.Never expected such a overwhelming response. The text I choose to add on the pixel grid at the end of the sequence just popped into my head one night. I really want to thank all of those responsible for this- it's Dan, Brian, and all those in the LOR family that made this possible. I could not have done it without LOR, Superstar, and help from the forum over the years.

I want to share a Christmas morning 'review' that was on the AndrewsChristmas page on Facebook. It took almost an hour for me to type the response.

Couldn't figure out how to imbed it here, so I've put a jpeg on our website of it. 

http://andrewschristmas.com/facebook.jpg

Randall

• The topic was locked