Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I keep the controllers of my LEDs?

EmmienLightFan

All outdoor lights in the UK are LED, and because of the higher voltage, they have transformers (12/24v)

I have these 'connectable' lights with a single power supply, which has connectors to take the power to several lights. The transformer connects to a controller which then goes to the lights. Each set of lights has two series of lights. Does this mean that each series of lights runs on 12v?

The power supply/controller

20185.jpg

Can I just hook the 3pin output from the controller to the DC board and put the controller on static/steady on? Would I then be able to connect the lights to the DC board, and also connect 24v lights that are not from the system?

The lights not from this system have individual controllers. Can I just put the controllers to steady on/static and they will turn on and off and dim?

I don't mind removing controllers, but I read somewhere that each series runs on 12v, so I would eed to connect both series together or only use half the lights.

I'm really confused.  :unsure:

You don't want to use the existing controllers, but you'll need to use them to determine all the voltages and polarity.

Connect a controller to the power supply and turn it on steady. Then use a voltmeter to measure the voltages from the power supply and the voltages to the lights. (You can strip the wires or do what I do and attach wires from the voltmeter leads to shirt pins and stab the wires.)

If the voltages are the same, then you are in luck! If they are, then I would just cut off the tail with the 4 connectors and connect the wire directly to the CMB24 board (after double-checking polarity). Then I would not use the old controllers, but connect the lights directly to the outputs if the DC board.

On the other hand, if the voltages are 24v in and 12v out, then it may be less trouble to replace the power supply with a 12v one. You can order 12v power supplies from the usual places.