Light-O-Rama Forums

Gotta catch up from summer 2006

KenMays

Back in the spring of 2006 (OK, Christmas 2005) I got excited about installing LOR. So during the April Sale (which occured in May), I bought a number of CTB16's (they are blue boards). Finally got them in August if I remember correctly. Anyway there was lots of talk about the new software and that the existing boards would require a microcode upgrade to be compatible.

Well, I'd made plans to build things up and you know what happens when you make plans - God Laughs. So here we are in the middle of the 2007 Christmas season and I'm finally starting to build the 2006 display. With any luck, my megatree will have gotten it's phase 1 upgrade by Christmas (there are at least 2 more phases).

The question is, What's happened since I've been out of the game? Is the 'Gamma' release the long awaited version oft talked about in 2006? More importantly, what all do I need to do to get up to the latest code before I start burnin the midnight oil trying to program songs?

Well, since nobody else is jumping in... :)

The 2.0.8 "gamma" is the current public version of the famed "upcoming software" that's been talked about for years. It has but not all, of the features that are intended for the final public version to be released after this season.

No firmware update is needed to run this version. When the final version comes out next year, firmware upgrades are expected. You may, however, want upgrades for other reasons, such as compatibility with LED lights...

-Tim

Thanks for the info Tim. Looks like having my life priorities changed dramatically this past year haven't left me too far behind. I just downloaded the gamma software and the current firmware update. I never had the chance to do much more than install the LOR I software and start it up a couple of times before, so I'll effectively be learning from page 1.

KenMays wrote:

I never had the chance to do much more than install the LOR I software and start it up a couple of times before, so I'll effectively be learning from page 1.

Oh man, are you in for some fun! It's great.

Cheers,
Charlie