Light-O-Rama Forums

To RGB or not to RGB

paulydreamer

You can buy strips, lights or whatever just about anything from Ray Wu but be careful what you order. You don't want to order intelligent pixels/nodes/strips if you are going to do an LOR CMB24. They must be dumb types. I had bought some from Ray Wu and turned out, not enough. So I had some %50 off things from Target which included a dumb strip with its own controller. Cut the wiring off it and connected it to the LOR controller. Life was good. Now I wouldn't recommend doing that normally as that Target item normally sold for $84.99 for one...ouch...but %50 off and I suddenly needed, I used it.

I see I am a bit late to the party but from a technical standpoint let me interject a few things. 

First off, use wet location rated power supplies.  Don't mess around with trying to put cheap supplies in an enclosure. 

Second,  If you use all low voltage stuff like pixels, your GFCI tripping should be zero if you use the supplies I mentioned above.

Third,  His is supposed to be fun and for a reason.  Nice to have all the tech knowledge and help but don't lose sight of the reason or pull your hair out if something doesn't go right. 

Forth, there is a lot of good people here willing to help.  Sometimes they give conflicting information.. just be mindful that it can happen and pay attention to what is being said.  Nothing malicious.. just people disagree sometimes.. Just accept it for that. 

Here is a link to something I have put up here to help "pixelers" (Did I just invent a new word)!    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zy9pvr8mckptws/DC%20to%20DC%20rev%203.pdf?dl=0

Read it and it may save you some grief in the long run..

• Like 1

I have to ask.... I am brand new at this, never even installed a single static light outside before. I would love to get rgb, love the idea behind it and the possibilities. I dont want too many, but i figured since i own nothing, might as well start with the best gear.

I've read a little about the ccr package from lor, but i cant seem to grasp why it is so expensive.... Couldnt i use those 12v rgb smart strips on the same system to do the same thing!? Those sell for less than 50$!?!?!?!?

I realise this is not going to be cheap, especially since i need so much to start.... But i just dont get the price difference....

CCR's and RGB dumb strips are two hugely different things. CCR's are very expensive as you know but LOR sells them, complete with their own controller and power supply and they work on the LOR network. RGB LED's come in two flavors...dumb and smart. CCR's are smart LED's and you can buy smart LED's and a controller and power supply that will allow them to work in place of CCR's if you so wish. Dumb LEDs require a DC controller such as LOR's CMB24 and a 12 volt power supply. To define this for you, smart LEDs are where each individual LED is addressable whereas dumb LED strips/strings are where the whole string is one color...any color you want but all one color on that strip/string. I'm going to put a video link here so you can see one of my songs this year, Let It Go from the movie Frozen. Now you'll see right away in the middle, the pixels which are "smart" LEDs. It would look better with CCR's but a lot more money. They(ws2811 5V pixel nodes) are connected using a JoshuaSystems ECG-P12S card with a 5 volt supply and running on E1.31 from LOR. About halfway through the song, you'll see the windows light up...those are "dumb" strips connected to a CMB24 LOR controller with a 12 volt power supply. Hope this gives you a better idea. I would rather have gone with CCR's for the pixel tree but $700 vs $3000 is a lot.

http://vimeo.com/113847557

• Like 1

A nice short 3 minute video has got to be out there but I can't find it if it is.  Just  make it for people like me who have a much better grasp when I see visually as opposed to reading.

Video would be = This is the laptop conected to ________ that runs ________. 

Even this picture helps me, but Iget confused at number 4.  Doesnt #4 CMB24 need a powersupply?   2nd question, Is ths setup for dumb and smart RGB then to regular LED lights?  3rd question the picture below only has 12 spots indicated in the picture so is it correct and will that controll 12 strips of dumb?

1 Laptop

2 Speaker/ FM signal

blue wire USB to

3 USB 485

green wire cat 5 to

4???????  CMB 24

green dots????

5 16 channel controller= 16 different placesto plug in lights

6  Residential 16channel controller

LOR-BasicLayoutWithRGBController-600x196

Edited by Jefffrompawpaw

The CMB24 is just a card. It needs a 12volt power supply connected to it and if its mounted outside, you'll need a weatherproof enclousre such as a CG1500

From LOR

4.  The Light-O-Rama CMB24 is connected to your network just like any other controller.  The board is designed to drive 8 RGB lights.  Each light has three channels (red, green, blue).  The RGB lights are typically 12 volts.  Since we don’t know the types of RGB lights you will be using, you  must provide your own 12 volt DC power supply.  Special note: Best practice is to mount the CMB24 in a weatherproof enclosure and make all wires exit the bottom so no water ever touches the electronics.

Me:

Explain why different  RGB lights would need a different powersupply.  All I would be using in my show would be dumb strips and maybe 2 floods.

Jeff, some RGB devices are different voltages - which would require a different power supply. Most are either 5V or 12V, but there are some 24V, 36V, and I think I saw some 48V. As long as the voltage is the same and the power supply can handle the current requirement, multiple DC controller cards can be powered from the same power supply. For example, in one location in my yard, I have a single 12V 29A power supply that is powering a ServoDog, two 16 channel DC controllers, and a SanDevices E6804 smart pixel controller.

After doing some research I think I wanna go smart RGBs but with all the different numbers and products on Rays site I'm having a hard time knowing which products are which. I want something like a c9 for my roof and minis for the rest. I have 2 huge trees in my front yard that might be an issue unless I have them dropped. Is there any good floods that are RGB for trees or something?

Also has anyone ever used an arch also as a marty fan??