Light-O-Rama Forums

Buying pixel lights on a budget....

Flanders

Depends on the budget. 

There's a lot of different pixel styles out there, for lots of different purposes and environments.  Do you have a pixel style in mind?  

If you don't already, you'll also need pixel controllers, power supplies, enclosures, software, and cabling all required to support your pixel investment.

quality pixel lights,  budget?

I believe that is a contradiction in terms. When each bulb is anywhere from 40 cents to a buck a piece, a budget can be shot to sh_t quickly. Like iflights said above, you also have to add controllers, power supplies, etc., it adds up quick. A lot of folks order from China, but shipping is a big expense. I remember the term used in racing, "racing cost's money, how fast do you want to go?

I would also check out the ones that Holiday coro is selling now. I am thinking of buying most of my Pixel tree stuff from them. They are having a sale on a bunch of it right now.

Thank you Newtour. Yeah Im new to this rgb pixel stuff. A lot to take in. The effects that you can do are pretty awesome. Im contemplating doing led mini trees or pixel trees. The led trees are a lot less involved...but if Im going to do it I want to do it right.

What is the real cost?   If you buy from China (Ray Wu etc.) the shipping is often as much as the product.  Quality is iffy (sometimes good sometimes not so good).  replacements can take a while.  If you are sent the wrong item often you have to pay the return postage for them to be replaced (sometimes not).  Quality varies from shipment to shipment even from the same manufacturer.

Purchase from Holiday Coro, Seasonal Entertainment and others state side have better quality control as well as solid replacements policy's and someone you can contact easily.  Up from cost a bit higher but quality you can count on.   Customer service anyone can be proud of.

No solution here,      but if you are looking for quality product every time by stateside.  If you want to save a couple of bucks and are willing to roll the dice  by from China.

Best answer if you are  getting from China is to get as much as you can in a single purchase rather than a number of smaller purchases.

Yes I do both.

another idea, what I did this year

rgb bulbs from diyledexpress.com     1 string 50 bulbs , 5v ws2811 style     $17.60 each (I am using 12)

16 channel rgb controller KIT from sandevices.com                                      $109

8 channel setup about $250  diy kit form(lights plus controller); to me, one of the cheaper ways cost wise but still excellent quality

shipping roughly $30 domestic + LOR and/or Superstar software, etc

Edited by wmilkie

I've had almost no issues with the China pixels which are, even after shipping, quite a bit cheaper than what HC or diyledexpress offers.  The key is to ship in bulk.  Once, you get over a certain weight, the  price, per lb gets MUCH cheaper.  I spent less than a 1000 bucks to update my entire display to pixels.  Time on the other hand, well, that's another issue...

I've had almost no issues with the China pixels which are, even after shipping, quite a bit cheaper than what HC or diyledexpress offers.  The key is to ship in bulk.  Once, you get over a certain weight, the  price, per lb gets MUCH cheaper.  I spent less than a 1000 bucks to update my entire display to pixels.  Time on the other hand, well, that's another issue...

I'm looking into purchasing from Ray Wu's store but im curious about customs and any other charges that might pop up after I place an order.

Any advice or things that may come as a surprise down the line?

ok cool- I have been reading a few different things about customs and additional charges as items clear customs- so as long as the items arrive at my door and I don't have any additional fees to pay after the fact then it will be all great.

Thanks for your help!

No problem. I've bought from 3 different vendors w good success. Also, do not believe that just because you buy from China the quality will necessarily be worse. A ton of people have been having all kinds of problems this year by pixels sold by holiday Coro. Pm me if you have more questions about what to buy.

I'm looking into purchasing from Ray Wu's store but im curious about customs and any other charges that might pop up after I place an order.

Any advice or things that may come as a surprise down the line?

I don't know if the US is the same as Canada but here my shipments from China will have customs fees once I get over $200. It's usually around the amount of my sales tax & is based on the stated value of goods that is posted on the customs form.

I have asked ray_wu to put a lower dollar amount on the customs form. It's a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand my duties are cheaper but if the package is damaged you'll only get compensated for the lower value.