Light-O-Rama Forums

Help, Police knocking on my door

need lights

I had the same problem last year with the traffic. This year though bad, doesn't appear as bad because I limit the songs to just 4 on Friday and Saturday nights.  I think I will do that now until Christmas.    I have the Demented Elf voice overs between every two songs.   This and the neighbors putting up cones in front of their houses has helped a lot.

What doesn't help is that I have one neighbor that just thinks the road is his and his alone.  When he comes home late and the traffic is busy, he pulls out a hand held spot light and shoots it at people as he is driving down the middle at speeds that he shouldn't be driving.. Sometimes he just honks on the way down to get a clear path.  Ok.. I get that he doesn't want to spend an extra 60 seconds to get home.. but people like this are dangerous to everyone.. Hope you don't have one of those on your block..

Good luck

Get a brighter spot or laser and hit him in the face with it. See how he likes it. That's what I do with my neighbor that hates my lights. I just go bigger on her side of the yard.

I like the ideas about the one way street and the parking on one side. I think the one way would solve the main road problem. I will have to find out if they will allow that. I am hoping they will want to work with me. I only ran two songs and had a tough time keeping the main road clear last night. I can't direct traffic every night, such as on Wednesday. Do you think traffic will be heavy as it was this weekend right through Christmas? Even on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? What about the weekend after Christmas? That would be helpful for if and when I have to talk to the Sgt.

Thanks for all of these solutions. I can't wait to add another song or two back in when it starts to get slower. When do you do your last night? New Years Eve, day, later?

I like the ideas about the one way street and the parking on one side. I think the one way would solve the main road problem. I will have to find out if they will allow that. I am hoping they will want to work with me. I only ran two songs and had a tough time keeping the main road clear last night. I can't direct traffic every night, such as on Wednesday. Do you think traffic will be heavy as it was this weekend right through Christmas? Even on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? What about the weekend after Christmas? That would be helpful for if and when I have to talk to the Sgt.

Thanks for all of these solutions. I can't wait to add another song or two back in when it starts to get slower. When do you do your last night? New Years Eve, day, later?

I find traffic usually peaks Christmas eve. It's chaotic on my street that night. After that traffic drops off till new years. Still busy mind you but not crazy.

Police are actually never a problem. You'll find they'll be more helpful than anything. You are allowed to put lights on your house, those people 'just' showed up. I would imagine the Sgt will ask questions about the display, see if you have a plan to take care of traffic, and possibly offer suggestions. I know some places will allow offer duty officers do traffic control, which you pay for.

When police become your problem is if there is excessive noise after 10 PM (or whatever time your community has for noise ordinances). If you are blasting music after that time they could ask you to shut it down, if the music was blasting when they were actually there.

No where you will run into problems is with the people who called the police on you in the first place. Sounds like you have pissed someone off, stepped on their holiday cheer, and/or made it tricky for them to get to their house. They can call the police, which is fairly harmless or contact the HOA, which if you live in one will be a problem for you. 

Probably a good time to pull up your HOA CCNR's, check on your local nuisance laws, etc. Also, like what many have suggested above which is to get a handle on the traffic. No one ever has a problem with the lights it's the problems with the noise and traffic that will sink you.

This year we have done ZERO media, to include newspapers, TV, radio, or crazy Christmas web type of show finders.  I even turned down ABC (Light Fight).   Another new thing we did this year is in the middle of the show, I run the Closing voice-over and a boring TSO song for a couple minutes with all lights on (nothing blinks/changes/flashes).  Then the second half of the show starts.  This has been great at keeping traffic moving.

Last night I moved traffic along a bit faster than I wanted - forgot to plug the audio in for the about 3 hours.  I was away and didn't know until a friend who was watching called to tell me there was nothing but static.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

Last night I moved traffic along a bit faster than I wanted - forgot to plug the audio in for the about 3 hours.  I was away and didn't know until a friend who was watching called to tell me there was nothing but static.

That made me chuckle. :)

Last year I had someone email me telling me there were two songs playing at once?  Of course I wasn't home to hear it myself.  I finally figured out the Christmas "muzak" I play during the day didn't stop for some reason and I had to remote in and physically end it.

Joking aside, most cops I know don't care for doughnuts...

I give them Red Bull when they are parked out here and that is a huge hit in the evenings and at night.

I have also taken a tray of cookies to the department and handed them directly to the Sheriff.

If you make direct contact with the law when they are out patrolling, and give them gifts, you will find out how helpful they are.

You don't really think they enjoy sitting in their cars all night doing nothing?

If you invite them to help out your show, they will be there or very close by.

I'm in even a worse predicament. I am a Deputy Sheriff, have a police car parked in my driveway (when I'm not working), and am creating a traffic hazard with cars stopped in the roadway. So far, no issues...

Edited by zooo

I'm in even a worse predicament. I am a Deputy Sheriff, have a police car parked in my driveway (when I'm not working), and am creating a traffic hazard with cars stopped in the roadway. So far, no issues...

Thank you sir for your service.

Do you have the the lights on the cruiser going to the music too? :-D

I am a LEO as well and actually have to shut my show off an hour before I go on duty just so im not loading my gear and my k9 partner into the truck with onlookers. 

I am a LEO as well and actually have to shut my show off an hour before I go on duty just so im not loading my gear and my k9 partner into the truck with onlookers. 

Thank You for your service also. Just put some lights on him and you should be just find. LOL

This is one of the reasons like George I don't want to be on the Stupid Light fight show.   I don't need the headache of traffic blocking the roads, being sued like Holdman by the music group , the town shutting you down and I could go on and on.   

Sued? Can someone provide a link? Ricky Needs Esplanation (I love lucy quote)

thx

• The topic was locked