Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Questions

jtomason

So I'm starting to plan for next year, and I know that I want to do RGB, both smart and dumb.  I've read pages, watched videos, and now I'm at the point where I am building a shopping list, but I'm a bit confused when it comes to the controllers, how many I would need, and how to integrate them into LOR. 

What I THINK I know is this:

1. If I have a bunch of smart pixel products close together, like a mega tree, a DMX controller with a large number of channels is best. 

2. If I have strips or individual elements spread out on the lawn, smaller controllers, placed near the elements, are best.

3. External power supplies will be required. 

4. There are 12v and 5v products available. 

5. There are various pixel densities on strips that will affect intensity and the perception of gaps, with 60/m being optimal.

So, assuming I have all that right, here are my questions:

1. So if I wanted to litter the lawn with coro stars using dumb RGB modules, I could use 1 3-channel dumb controller per star (such as this one: http://www.holidaycoro.com/3-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/37.htm).   However, if I got a 27 channel controller (like this: http://www.holidaycoro.com/27-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/24.htm), could I simply connect the nearest 9 stars to it with 4-conductor wire?  What maximum cable runs can I reasonably expect?

2. How would these controllers be connected to LOR?  I've seen DMX controllers, have heard mention of using a USB adapter (from HolidayCoro), but I don't know what makes the most sense for, say, 24 elements with 3/4 rgb modules each in them spread out over a 400 sqft area.    (EDIT: Of course, right after you post a question, you find a possible answer: E1.31.  Reading up on it now..)

3. If you wanted to run a show with a Mini Director, is using RGB even possible?  How? 

4. I am planning to make smart pixel strip arches in PEX based on things I've read here.   What about controllers for them?   Do you tend to use a small controller per arch (like the TinyPix: http://www.holidaycoro.com/DMX-to-SPI-Smart-Pixel-Decoder-Controller-p/611.htm), or, if I want to make 5 arches, would you simply connect one arch to another?

Thanks, Joe

Edited by jtomason

In response to question 3:

I am successfully running "dumb" RGB with LOR ribbons (8) using a LOR #CMB24 (24 channels) and running using a LOR #G3-MP3. Next year I am adding 8 Coro Hexa Trees (RGB) using an additional LOR #CMB24.

Just a general rule when it comes to most Rgb products that they usually run on DC. I try to keep my controllers as close to the items as possible because of the voltage drop. Most smart pixels /strips can easily get 10' from the controller but depends on the chip in those products. Adding null pixels will increase that distance.

As for light density, the further away from the road the item, is the less lights you will need to maintain the same look. My roof stars are only 30 led's /meter. Same with my Pixabulbs on my upper roof they are 8" spacing but on the lower roof they are 6".

You can see here

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qyoZbPDVs

This was taken before my pixel tree was up

Edited by Darryl Lambert

We all have our own opinion and will add mine per your comment #5. I would not run any 60 LED/m as they are just to bright.   I have just a few and find them overpowering . If you do some reading here, you will find people trying to lower the intensity to lessen the brightness.  I don't believe the average viewer would notice the difference between 30 & 60 LEDs/m  

Steve

Edited by steve synek

We all have our own opinion and will add mine per your comment #5. I would not run any 60 LED/m as they are just to bright.   I have just a few and find them overpowering . If you do some reading here, you will find people trying to lower the intensity to lessen the brightness.  I don't believe the average viewer would notice the difference between 30 & 60 LEDs/m  

Steve

Would you say that the difference is also mitigated if both are in PEX?   

I would also like to add that most 60 leds/m strips use 72 watts where as 30 leds/m use 36 watts so you would be doubling your power requirements. In other words if you purchased a CMB24D and purchased 8 each 30 leds/m strips you could power them with one 350w power supply. If you purchase 8 each 60 leds/m strips you would need two 350w power supplies for the same board.

I would also like to add that most 60 leds/m strips use 72 watts where as 30 leds/m use 36 watts so you would be doubling your power requirements. In other words if you purchased a CMB24D and purchased 8 each 30 leds/m strips you could power them with one 350w power supply. If you purchase 8 each 60 leds/m strips you would need two 350w power supplies for the same board.

That's an excellent point.

Two basic setups,  centralized and distributed networking.  Larger channel counts tend better to centralized controllers (mega tree's etc.) small channel count items spread out work better with smaller controllers (3 channel dumb mini trees etc).  I use a number of 3 channel controllers,27 channel controllers along with 12 universe E1.31 controllers, E1.31 protocol converter for additional DMX universes mixed in with standard LOR controllers.  Point is each have a strength and can work well together with matched with the most efficient device.

Beyond the brightness of 60 pixel strips the more pixels in a smaller area provide better text, scrolling and graphics.  10 15 and 30 pixel per meter each have a valid use, (less pixels less power injection) For instance in a leaping arch or a widow frame how many segments do you really need per meter to accomplish a smooth transition?

So the answer is there is no single answer.

Edited by jerrymac

Two basic setups,  centralized and distributed networking.  Larger channel counts tend better to centralized controllers (mega tree's etc.) small channel count items spread out work better with smaller controllers (3 channel dumb mini trees etc).  I use a number of 3 channel controllers,27 channel controllers along with 12 universe E1.31 controllers, E1.31 protocol converter for additional DMX universes mixed in with standard LOR controllers.  Point is each have a strength and can work well together with matched with the most efficient device.

Ok, so here's a problem I have. Right now, I am renting, and am not allowed to mount anything permanently outside. So the three windows on the second story have regular LED lights on the inside, running extensions cords to an LOR controller indoors that connects to the larger network outdoors via cat5. I want to place 4 dumb strips around these windows, two in the same room next to each other and one about 20-25 linear feet away. So in theory, I could run cat5 from an LOR to an E1.31 controller upstairs, and from there to... What? Cat5 to a 12 or 16 channel DMX controller for each window? Would I use one large power suppy and run power centrally, or would I have to have smaller power supplies near each window? Hopefully there is an economic way to do this.

I guess it would be helpful to see something akin to a network diagram on how people have laid this stuff out from a physical perspective.

You cannot go from a Lor controller to e1.31 they are different protocols. E1.31 goes from your Ethernet port on your computer. You can go from a Lor controller to a dmx controller but the Lor controller will need to run in dmx mode.

There can be some disadvantages to this setup. Your computer will have to do the processing not your Lor controller & certain effects ie shimmer do not look the same. But cabling will be somewhat simplified.

If each window is going to be a single dumb strip (3 channels per window), best bet would be cheap 3 channel controllers (DMX) through a dongle. If you are going to split the windows into segments (4 per window) you would likely be better with something like Holiday Coro's tiny pixel controller in each room. Just run Cat 5 from the dongle to the controllers (daisy chained).  At most with 4 windows with 4 segments of dumb strips you are only going to be using 48 channels.

Joe.  error in my post.  If you are using dumb strips you can use the 27 channel controller's for the windows not the tiny pixel controller (which is for smart strings/strips).