Light-O-Rama Forums

Best Starter Package

Chadthedrummer7

Ok, I have been doing my research and am ready to jump in for next year. What is the best starter package to buy? I have my eyes on the Showtime Central starter package with 2 controllers-32 channels. . But have some questions:

1. How good is that FM transmitter? (i see it says 150' usually, but is that the real deal. cause even that seems a little short to me)

2. I am wondering why in this package they don't offer anything above the Basic Plus software. I assume this is ok, but what are your thoughts?

3. When is the best time to buy? i heard there is a summer sale, but is it worth it to wait for that?

4. Does it really take a few hours for a few seconds of music when dealing with the program? (i mean, i am a musician and enjoy music editing software, but that seems redonk amount of time for not much payoff)

5. How good is the SD plug and play card? Do you still have to do some tweeking?

6. Is it worth it to buy the already designed shows that come on the SD cards for like $70 each? Thoughts on these?

7. Is the Showtime Central with 2 controllers the way to go, or should i buy my own FM transmitter and components seperate? Any advice is greatly appreciNated!

Thank you all. (And i know before you say it) Run while i can before i get hooked. haha - too late. I am geek, bring it!

Thanks...

Chad

How good is the FM Transmitter? It's as good as FCC regulations will allow. That said, you might be happier investigating other options there.

You have the option of upgrading your software license level when you purchase. They are giving you the Basic software license free. You could upgrade to the Advanced if you would like.

Best time to buy? One doesn't need the hardware to start programming. Thus if you wanted to wait for a sale from LOR then you might considering doing so. They have 2 per year. Spring and Summer.

When you get started, yes, it takes a good amount of time to program. Like any software program though, the more you use it, the easier it becomes.

The Plug and Play card is as good as what you see on the LOR Sequences site. Haven't ordered one from them, so I don't know if they give you editable versions or not.

You could consider this starter kit, and get the transmitter elsewhere.

Yes, the sequences on the Plug and Show SD card are editable.  There is an installer on the card that will create the sequences on your computer, including the audio.

This is my first year (actually first couple weeks) with the residential 16-channel controller.  Shortly after receiving it and playing around with the S3 software I realized I was going to need the Showtime Central (and so the obsession begins).  The nice parts of the Showtime Central are: 1) it only requires a Cat5 connection to a controller; no other power required.  2) I did not have to run a LONG Cat5 cable out to the controller.  3) The FM transmitter works great (once you find a non-interfering freq to set it to).  4) The miniDirector and FM transmitter are mounted inside a weather resistant case (just like the controller)...all of which makes it extremely easy to install and use.

Given how long it took us to sequence our first song (Ho Hey by the Lumineers), I bought the SD card of Christmas music/sequences off the site and they work fine.  As mentioned above, you can modify them and the entire show.  My personal opinion is that since these are sequenced to royalty-free music, I may not use them much past this year as they are not the "recognized" versions that everyone knows.  But given my short time frame of setting all this up it is good enough for this season.  As for how long it takes, our sequence took us about 4 hours (a lot of which was just figuring out the tools available).  I agree with the comment above that this will get easier the more we use it.

You can see what I did by searching the forum for "Newbie 10' 16-Channel Straight Mega Tree".

• Like 1

Thank you all for your awesome comments. So stoked to get started. I had the small stupid controller bought at lowes that does "something", and got so annoyed with it. I blew it off and ran direct this year. Can't wait to make the jump for next year. Thank you again. Can't wait. 2015, the year of the drummer lights. :)

When I started I downloaded the software in January and played with it during the year. I didn't order any hardware until September but by then I had worked out what I needed and got my show all sorted. The software is free to download in a condition with limited functionality (you can't run the show) but you can set up the visualiser and build your sequences. Use the tutorial videos as they are really good. I think with your musical background you will enjoy the sequencing. Be very aware this is addictive. Kind regards. Tony

Yeah, i watched a vid this morning and DL'd the software just to start playing with it. And with knowledge of Pro Tools and Reaper, i should get hooked real easy on this. Poor guy in the video had a little hard time with getting the downbeat right. I am drummer, i got this :P Can't wait till next year, but I will start all my "building" now. Thanks Tony-

1.  Youll be better served getting an different transmitter.

2.  You can upgrade later if needed

3.  no idea! 

4.  Yes.   Yes.   Yes.  From scratch, I was averaging about an hour per minute of song coding. (32 channels and an 8ch RGB tree) Once you get going with the song, some patterns emerge and you can cut and paste.  It REALLY depends on how much movement you want.  I dont like the.. my lights are flashing kinda in time to the music.  I prefer, lights are flashing WITH the music, and it makes sense. (ie ALL the lights shouldnt be 100% during a slow quiet part of the song)

5.  No idea

6.  I would say no off the bat unless your in a huge time crunch.  There are plenty of people who offer free sequences.  I think its easier to adapt someones sequence to mine, than to pay for a sequence, that I will have to adapt to mine anyway.

7.  Unless there is a huge price point discount... I would buy the basic starter package that comes with the RJ adapter, and Basic Plus Then buy 2 of the build your own 16 ch controllers ($130 each)  Assuming you have a soldering iron, its not really hard to make them, 30 min to an hour each?

• Like 1

It took me about 8 hours to program one minute of music.

I have been using the same songs for 3 years now.

I do add some elements and do tweaking every year but most of the hard work is done.