Light-O-Rama Forums

It finally happened!

lightingnewb

Only after 2 YEARS of planning, 5 MONTHS of programming and designing, and several angry grunts of frustration, OUR HOUSE FINALLY HAS SYNCHRONIZED LIGHTS! The excitement and relief I felt when the show actually played made my Christmas special. Being a first-year and seeing community members and fellow neighbors promise to come see a show, I truly understood my purpose for this show. It isn't for my entertainment - it's for the entertainment of the community. Thanks to all who have lent a word of advice or shared a tutorial or link on how to do something - IT HELPS! I'm waiting for this wet weather to pass through so I can post a video of the show.

We ended up completing three songs - around 10/12 minutes in length. Song one: You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch. Second is Sleigh Ride, followed by Carol of the Bells - Instrumental Version by TSO. I'm so happy that albeit a few major setbacks - buying silicone to waterproof plugs, waiting out horrible weather, a malfunction in software, and several other challenges - this turned out to be great. The first year always has it's learning curves, naturally. We intend to repurpose the lights we used this year to make next year's show better, add a couple of new channels, and add SEVERAL new songs to our inventory. There's a checklist of things to get done for next year already, but let's focus on the beautiful gift sitting right in front of us - the present. (Wink-wink, nudge, nudge)

Thanks again, everyone. I will try to post videos soon.

LN

• Like 1

I understand y'all want some videos - hopefully tonight the weather will be clear enough. The last two days have brought a nasty bout of rain and lightning (BUT THE SHOW HAS SURVIVED! :D) I apologize for the delay. Thanks for the congrats btw - I'm always glad to have support.

LN

Thanks for sharing your excitement with us. We've all experience that joy the first year we watched our sequenced lights for the first time. That, and the enjoyment and Christmas spirit it brings to the neighborhood.

Please post videos if you can.

RAIN RAIN RAIN!

I keep trying to get out to record a video... and it keeps dumping rain... it's okay because we NEED the rain... but I need to videotape it for you all! UGH. I was happy that I was able to throw in a fourth song into my mix. "Linus and Lucy" - a fun upbeat Charlie Brown Christmas hit. Soon, though, it'll all be taken away and hidden till next year. (So sad!)

Thanks again for your kind comments. I PROMISE I will try to get the video ASAP.

Edited by lightingnewb

Remeber the "First Rule of Animated Christmas Lighting..."

No pics .. no vid... IT DIDNT HAPPEN ... LOL ..

Congrats on your 1st year ... looking forward to seeing you show..

Bob

Bob,

Right you are, right you are. If I can't seem to get a video due to wet weather, I'll send a screenshot of the visualizer. Thanks!

LN

To all who have been awaiting this moment, I HAVE THE VIDEOS!  :) Please open in a new tab and you *may* need to turn up the sound a bit. This is the four-song show. I'm working on a special New Year's Eve one-song show [though I think I can do more than 1 song... ;)]

Carol the Bells: http://youtu.be/8Nhzk2fsqgg

Linus & Lucy:  http://youtu.be/je64f7Obg9A

Mr. Grinch:  http://youtu.be/0WtvV3ZndxQ

Sleigh Bells: http://youtu.be/CJ-IK7DaRFQ

It looks good.  How many channels/lights did you get in for your first year?

About 22 channels. In 2015, we expect to use all 32 channels. On the house, we expect to switch from LED rope light to LED bulb light - it is WAY easier to hang and handle. (Rope light is spun on a spool, making the rope curve in the circular pattern. This then makes the LEDs not appear uniform when they are strung up - they shine to the back (away from viewers), to the side, or up to the sky. In all, LED rope light, when using multiple ropes together, should be avoided. We hope to expand our lawn decorations, hopefully adding the Red Baron's dog house and a few other ideas. The rope light we used this year will contribute to the decorations for the tree. The windows and doors will keep their lights however. Thanks for asking! I know it is far more information than you needed, but I thought I'd share. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. There is a county newspaper that publishes all the synchronized lights in the area - should we use this to advertise our house?

2. Donation boxes... good idea? or bad? I just want people's opinions.

3. And lastly, signs. We use an FM transmitter for audio. This year, we hand-made a small sign out of photo album paper. We want to make it bigger. Any company suggestions or ideas? Also... for those that are just walking in our neighborhood, should we include audio via a BlueTooth Speaker for them? Thanks!

LN.

P.S.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding the 2014 show - I'll be making a website soon and any questions you have will more than likely make it to the website. Thanks again for your kind words.

• The topic was locked