Light-O-Rama Forums

My Display Plans

beagledudley

These Are Photos Of My Christmas Display Plans I Hope And Plan To Have This Up And Going By Christmas Of 2015. Everything In The Display Will  Be Red, Green, And Blue, The Arches Will Be Clear And The Light Poles/Trees (Labeled LP1 And LP2 In The Plans) Will Have Clear Trunks Wrapped  Like The Arches And Will Jump Like Arches. The Branches On The Light Poles Will Be Red, Green And Blue. The Snowflake  On The Mega Tree Will  Be Clear  As  Well. I Estimate There Will Be Right Around 55,000 Lights In The Display And All Them Will Be Mini Incandescent Lights. I Have Almost All Of  My Lights (45,000 Of Them) So  I Will  Have  To Buy The  Rest Of Them This Year And Next Year. There  Should Be Right Around 127 Channels In The Display. What Are Your Thoughts On It?? Anyone Have Any Ideas To Improve  Upon It??

Thanks! PS: Sorry For My Poor Drawings/Handwriting!

post-14197-0-47918700-1418691932_thumb.j

post-14197-0-46281800-1418691940_thumb.j

post-14197-0-27410300-1418691945_thumb.j

Edited by beagledudley

Hey beagledudley,

It sounds & looks awesome but if your just getting started, I'm hoping you aren't biting off more than you can chew to start!  You do have a whole year get it going but that's quite a lot to start out!  I'm in my 9th year and add more every year and still learning everyday from some great people here....  good luck!

I'm with gmacw on this one.  That's an awful lot to tackle for first year.  You will have to watch your amperage draw very closely if you plan on 55,000 incandescent on 127 channels.  Coming from someone that has close to 100,000 incandescent do yourself a favor and don't go that route...  Get your feet wet first year and transition to RGB.  Got my feet wet this year with smart pixels/dmx and I'm over incandescent!  Just my two cents after close to decade of doing this!

I think giving a year to get it done, the layout and sequencing can be done easily.

The major problem MIGHT be all the power to drive those incans.

Do your math on how much amps with those lights and how many controllers you will need.

At least your thinking about next year now... and not this year for last week... like some. :)

Thanks To  Everyone (I Know, I Know Only Three People Have Responded) For Your Comments. I Have Been Doing A (A Meaning Two, I Do One At My Ggrandmother's House) Big Christmas Display For Around 8 Years Now (Without LOR) And Am Currently Running Around 20,000 Lights, Along With 6 Or So Airblowns And A Handful Of Blow Molds. We Are Coming Close To Pushing The Limit On What We Can Put On  Our Place (Power  Wise). We Are Building A New Home In The Spring, And We Are Having Them Put 9 Outdoor Outlets On The House Each With It's Own Breaker, So I Think That Will Handle It (Hopefully!). I Am A Sucker For Doing The  Traditional Incandescent Lights, )I Don't Care Much For Any Other Replacement To Them) And Since I Have Almost All Of My Lights I Need, I'll Stick To Them For Right Now. I Have Been Tinkering Around  With My LOR Controllers For A While  Now To Get A Feel For What I Need To Do, And I'm Planning To  Set It All Up  In May/June So I Can Get All Of  My Sequencing Done And Get All Of The Bugs Worked Out (I Am Sure There Will  Be Bugs When I Set It Up For The Holiday, But At Least I Can Resolve The Major Issues). My Biggest Issue Is The Site Where  I Am Placing  The Display, There Is Only One  Live Tree There! All Of The Rest Are Going To Bet Props (I Have Almost All Of Them Pre-Built) But I Guess  Even Though It Will Be More To Store, I Won't Have  To Put Up And Take Down All  Of The Lights Off Of The Trees , I Can Just Get Out The Pre-Decorated Trees.

Thanks Everybody So Far And Keep The Comments  Coming! Thanks!

i'm with those above, it can be done but the power on 55,000 incans is going to be off the charts, I hope you have plans for a sub panel!

The kill-o-watt is a handy tool; because your display has to be up to measure the draw. That may be too late once your display is up and you don't have enough power to run it. You need to plan and figure out where and how that many lights will powered. What outlet/circuits will you use? What else may be on those circuits? Do you have room and capacity in your current electrical panel to add circuits?

Edited by Buckeyelights

Start programming all those channels and building your props now.  Not next week, not tomorrow.  Now.  You will thank me come next fall when the setup takes 3x as long as you thought, you find GFCIs tripping, or any numerous problems we all have run into.   Get your props made as much as you can and the sequences out of the way asap, so you won't be overwelmed just before the season.  You have a lot of channels for a 1st timer.  It can be done easily if you plan accordingly.

Set the nay-sayers aside and proceed with your plans. 

I started out my first year doing 144 channels, and had a much thinner plan to begin than you do.

Is it easy?  No.  Is it doable?  Most certainly!

• Like 1

I agree with Mwhite, Start Sequencing ASAP... I started last January (2014) with this years display as I had an increase of Lights (from 3000 to 11,500.) I am still sequencing songs, but this years show is launched. :)

• The topic was locked