Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Failure

jpohio

I searched for this, but didn't find anything.... Is there any danger to the controllers if the power goes out during a show? Also, should I unplug the controllers in the event of a power failure? I am asking because it's extremely windy here in NE OH and we are prone to power failures in my neighborhood.

jpohio wrote:

I searched for this, but didn't find anything.... Is there any danger to the controllers if the power goes out during a show? Also, should I unplug the controllers in the event of a power failure? I am asking because it's extremely windy here in NE OH and we are prone to power failures in my neighborhood.

No harm will come if the controllers lose power. Now if you were getting horribly erratic power due to a storm, I'd probably unplug them, just like I would any electronics.

-Tim

Tim,

Thanks, normally if the power goes out I go and turn off all of my surge protectors so there's no juice going to any appliance when the power comes back on, but then I was/am sitting here listening to wind howl and got thinking/worring about the controllers. If it were erractic power due to a storm, I would not hesitate to shut everything down.
I guess for now, I will let the show run, but if the (house) lights start flickering, I will shut down the show.

• 3 weeks later...

I would keep them on GFCI's just to be safe. I know from experience surge protectors only prevent surges, but if the power company increases power the surge will hold.

I had an unusual experience where the power company installed after a blown transformer a commercial transformer. They increased the power to the house 2 fold. Surge protectors held the juice. When I trip main breaker, it did not matter, I still had power. When they tripped transformer, surge tripped. When they fixed, I switched surge protector, well let's just say I had no body hair on arms or face for over a month. The surge was reversed, agh. I used to a have a wall hair dryer too, but it became a flame thrower. I lost everything plugged into an outlet. Electric Company had no choice but to replace, but it took 6 months and lawyers to settle.

So long story short protect, protect, protect. And Good Luck.