Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand new using SPT-1 Wire. Please help!

Army Lights

Hi everyone,

I've expanded to 48 channels this year and I'm delving into leaping arches, and therefore would like to run some SPT-1 wire (I think) instead of extension cords. I have a few questions. Please help!

1. Is there anywhere I can buy it in a physical location? I found some places online, but would rather not wait as I'm already way behind. I want my show up tonight or tomorrow night (everything else is done). I called Lowe's and their electrical department had no idea what I was talking about. I've calculated that I only need 410 feet, so a 500 ft. spool would suffice.

2. Are vampire plugs the best way to go?

3. Is 18 gauge the right way to go?

4. Other than a wire stripper and vampire plugs (male and female), is there anything else I need? I don't need to solder do I (I can do so if needed, but I'm under the impression they'll just pop into the vampire plugs)?

5. Any general advice for a newbie to this area of LOR would be appreciated!

Chris

Hi everyone,

I've expanded to 48 channels this year and I'm delving into leaping arches, and therefore would like to run some SPT-1 wire (I think) instead of extension cords. I have a few questions. Please help!

1. Is there anywhere I can buy it in a physical location? I found some places online, but would rather not wait as I'm already way behind. I want my show up tonight or tomorrow night (everything else is done). I called Lowe's and their electrical department had no idea what I was talking about. I've calculated that I only need 410 feet, so a 500 ft. spool would suffice. I have bought spools from Home Depot in the past.

2. Are vampire plugs the best way to go? Cheap, easy to install, and if you need one in the middle of the wire, only way to go.

3. Is 18 gauge the right way to go? Depends on your load. Should be able to carry 5 amps.

4. Other than a wire stripper and vampire plugs (male and female), is there anything else I need? I don't need to solder do I (I can do so if needed, but I'm under the impression they'll just pop into the vampire plugs)? If using SPT and vampire plugs or sockets. Why the wire strippers? Only wire cutters. Note that there is SPT1 & 2. The vampires work best or only with the proper size vampires.

5. Any general advice for a newbie to this area of LOR would be appreciated! Newbie? Looks like you have been around since 2010

Chris

#1 - I'm in Corona so I am right around the corner from you. I have heard that you can buy the cord at Home Depot but I have never seen it in our area. Many places call it 'lamp cord'. I got a spool from www.christmaslightshow.com recently and Daryl shipped it immediately.

#2 - Yes, vampire plugs are the way to go. Cheap and easy to install, no wire strippers needed. Sometimes you will bend a 'fang' during assembly but that is easy to diagnose and fix.

#3 - Yes unless you are running heavy on incandescent lights. I run all SPT2 with a ton of lights and have never had the slightest issue with amp draw/wire size.

#4 - Don't need to solder. Just need bulk wire and the plugs.

#5 - If you want to make the trip to my house I would gladly show you around. I run 14 controllers and have 7,000 feet of SPT wire.

Hi everyone,

1. Is there anywhere I can buy it in a physical location? I found some places online, but would rather not wait as I'm already way behind. I want my show up tonight or tomorrow night (everything else is done). I called Lowe's and their electrical department had no idea what I was talking about. I've calculated that I only need 410 feet, so a 500 ft. spool would suffice. I have bought spools from Home Depot in the past.

2. Are vampire plugs the best way to go? Cheap, easy to install, and if you need one in the middle of the wire, only way to go.

3. Is 18 gauge the right way to go? Depends on your load. Should be able to carry 5 amps.

4. Other than a wire stripper and vampire plugs (male and female), is there anything else I need? I don't need to solder do I (I can do so if needed, but I'm under the impression they'll just pop into the vampire plugs)? If using SPT and vampire plugs or sockets. Why the wire strippers? Only wire cutters. Note that there is SPT1 & 2. The vampires work best or only with the proper size vampires.

5. Any general advice for a newbie to this area of LOR would be appreciated! Newbie? Looks like you have been around since 2010

Chris

Thanks for all the info! I'm not an LOR newbie--I've just an SPT wire newbie. I've always just used a Sh*t load of extension cords. 

#1 - I'm in Corona so I am right around the corner from you. I have heard that you can buy the cord at Home Depot but I have never seen it in our area. Many places call it 'lamp cord'. I got a spool from www.christmaslightshow.com recently and Daryl shipped it immediately.

#2 - Yes, vampire plugs are the way to go. Cheap and easy to install, no wire strippers needed. Sometimes you will bend a 'fang' during assembly but that is easy to diagnose and fix.

#3 - Yes unless you are running heavy on incandescent lights. I run all SPT2 with a ton of lights and have never had the slightest issue with amp draw/wire size.

#5 - If you want to make the trip to my house I would gladly show you around. I run 14 controllers and have 7,000 feet of SPT wire.

Thanks Shawn! I would love to make the trip up some time (you know, the whole 30 minutes) :) . A few follow-on questions:

1. The guy at Lowe's did mention Lamp Cord. Is that the same thing? I'd rather buy it today, but if Daryl can get it out quickly, I might get it there.

2. Does it matter SPT-1 vs 2? According to this site (http://www.christmasdesigners.com/notes/understanding-the-difference-between-spt-1-and-spt-2-cord/), there is no difference in AMP rating, just in the insulation thickness. Not sure whether or not I trust that site though. 

3. Can I get the vampire plugs at Lowe's?

You can use either SPT-1 or -2 as long as you get the matching connectors.

You are welcome to come to Glendora for a tour too.

Between Home Depot and Lowes, you will likely find the wire and maybe connectors.

Hey, I just spoke with the guy at Lowe's again. I mentioned that Lamp Cord may be the same thing I'm looking for. He said they only come in 100 ft spools. Then he said Speaker Wire would be the same thing and it comes in 500 ft. reels. I've worked with speaker wire before, and it does not seem like it would carry enough load. Any thoughts?

Also, he had no idea what vampire plugs were. Is there anything else I can call them that Lowe's would know? I will be going down there in about 30 mins.

Hey, I just spoke with the guy at Lowe's again. I mentioned that Lamp Cord may be the same thing I'm looking for.

Yes, lamp cord is the same thing, but you'll have to look at it to figure out if it's SPT1 or SPT2. Speaker wire may or may not be the same thing.

Yes I agree, lamp cord is also most of the time also labeled SPT. Just look at the paper tag glued to the spool. I bet you will see somewhere on that label the letters SPT.

Lowes in OKC carried both SPT1 & SPT2. I added a Marty Fan and 4 more arches this year. Burned through the 1000 ft I had "extra". So sorry, but wiped out the OKC, Yukon & Mustang Lowes of all their SPT1.

Try to avoid the speaker cord.  It isn't as flexible and easy to work with as the SPT (also known as lamp) cord.  SPT = easy to coil and uncoil.  Speaker cord not so much.  I often use SPT cord as speaker cord for my audio system.

Try to avoid the speaker cord.  It isn't as flexible and easy to work with as the SPT (also known as lamp) cord.  SPT = easy to coil and uncoil.  Speaker cord not so much.  I often use SPT cord as speaker cord for my audio system.

The speaker cord's sheathing/outer case is also not rated for 120v. It may work fine but I wouldn't take the chance.

Saxon you got to realize that now days most stores will hire a warm body that will show up to work on a daily bases. Knowledge of the subject (department) is not a requirement. Take Radio Shack for example. Young kid walks up and ask if he can help. I said ya, where are your coaxial D.C. power plugs. He lead me over to the PL-259 connector (C.B. Radio antenna connector). Totally ignorant people that cant fight their way out of paper sack. You have to go into a store knowing what you want and willing to read the labels yourself. Cause they dont have a clue what they are suppose to be selling you. It is a real surprise when I go into Best Buy and the kid knows what they are talking about. Real pleasure to go into a store where the employees know their material.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the help and feedback. I picked up two different reels at Lowe's and wanted to find out which I should use. One of them is listed as SPT 1 (250 ft), and the other is thermostat wire without an SPT rating (500 ft). If the 500 foot reel would work, I'd much rather use it. It seems more flexible to work with and I wouldn't have to get two reels. 

Anyone know if this would work? Also, I'm still struggling to find vampire plugs at a retail store, so I think I'm just going to grab them on Amazon. 

As always, I welcome to feedback!!

post-6454-0-91977200-1418322726_thumb.jp

Edited by Army Lights

No to your 500 ft spool. Thermostat wire is typically solid conductors. You roll it up and then lay it back out a few time and you will break the conductors. They don't make vampires to fit the insulation.

Since you bought SPT1, make sure you get SPT1 vampires.

Edited by Mega Arch

agree with Mega Arch. The yellow label clearly says SPT-1. This is good to go spool. But as mega points out, green spool is thermostat wire and will not work with vampires and solid wire is also very hard to work with.

• Like 1