Light-O-Rama Forums

How is this possible? "Let it Go" with CCR and only 64 channels

MikeSD

RE: Let It Go video demo on the sequence store

In this video, that demonstrates what's possible, it says, "what this sequence might look like in your venue."  It looks to be saying this can be done with four 16 channel controllers (or 64 channels).   But it doesn't specifically say what kind of controllers.  The basic commercial controller simply turns AC ON/OFF/FADE to a light. 

http://vimeo.com/100212132

Question 1: In this video there are the two arches.   The descriptions says each arch is controlled by 8 channels.   But they do appear to be controlled individually.  They seem to move in groups of 5 in 8 steps, which could be AC controlled on/off, and be done with only 8 channels per arch.  I can see how this could be 5 lights  turned on and off by each of 8 channels.  But they also have different levels of brightness, on adjacent  bulbs, in the same group of 5, which seems to indicate individual control.  I don't see how that would be possible, using only 8 channels per arch.  How are those loop effects created, given the number of channels specified (8 per arch)? 

Question 2: When the sequence description says, 16 channels or 32 channels or 48 or 64, are they referring to a channel like the Commercial/Residential controllers like this? (http://www1.lightorama.com/commercial-light-controllers/).  I understand when they say, "channel" they are referring to a "channel" as seen in the S3 software.  But can four 16 channel controllers (for instance) be used, to create everything in the video?  The reason I ask is because those loops look to be controlled by more than AC on/off.

Question 3:  Those arches or leapers of light.  If they are just lights controlled by basically turning AC on/off/fade, are they likely custom lighting devices, or are there strings like that that can be purchased?

Edited by MikeSD

Not sure where you got the reference to CCBs.  The video specifies what the channels are used for.  64 channels total.

It can be done with 64 LOR channels ...

LOR CCx devices come with thier own controller.

So 4 16 channel LOR controllers (for your incans and LEDs) , plus your CCB, CCP and/or CCR's (controllers included)

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

MikeSD,

The assumption is likely to do that all with four AC controllers, but depending on the lights used, some parts of it could be using DC lights and therefore a DC control card.  To answer some of your specific questions.

1)  Arches are commonly built with standard Christmas light strings (normally mini lights).  Each segment takes one channel (unless it's a multi-color arch which the one in the video is not).  Eight segments is a commonly used number of segments.  Each segment is controlled by one channel from a controller and can be whatever level is desired.

2)  Yes, that was a 64 channel display which uses (normally) four 16 channel controllers.  Each channel is independently controllable - on, off, or dimmed anywhere in between (there are a few other things they can do too, but that's not relevant to this discussion).

3)  One of the common ways of building arches is to start with an arch of pipe (often PVC).  Then build some number of segments (let's say eight segments that are each15 inches long).  Each segment is built by wrapping standard mini-lights around a larger piece of PVC pipe.  Then each segment is slid over the pipe that made up the arch.  Using the dimensions I use as an example, would result in 120 inches (8 x 15 inches) or 10 feet of lit arch.  The advantage of using the method I used as an example is that if a segment fails, it is easy to remove it for replacement / repair.  There are other ways to build an arch.  Depends on what look you are trying to achieve.  Personally my six arches are PEX pipe with Cosmic Color Pixels drilled into the back side of the pipe - but that takes 150 channels per arch.  BTW using the CCPs uses one CCP controller for each pair of CCP strings, so I'm using 3 CCP controllers.

RE: Let It Go video demo on the sequence store

In this video, that demonstrates what's possible, it says, "what this sequence might look like in your venue."  It looks to be saying this can be done with four 16 channel controllers (or 64 channels).   But it doesn't specifically say what kind of controllers.  The basic commercial controller simply turns AC ON/OFF/FADE to a light. 

http://vimeo.com/100212132

Question 1: In this video there are the two arches.   The descriptions says each arch is controlled by 8 channels.   But they do appear to be controlled individually.  They seem to move in groups of 5 in 8 steps, which could be AC controlled on/off, and be done with only 8 channels per arch.  I can see how this could be 5 lights  turned on and off by each of 8 channels.  But they also have different levels of brightness, on adjacent  bulbs, in the same group of 5, which seems to indicate individual control.  I don't see how that would be possible, using only 8 channels per arch.  How are those loop effects created, given the number of channels specified (8 per arch)? 

Question 2: When the sequence description says, 16 channels or 32 channels or 48 or 64, are they referring to a channel like the Commercial/Residential controllers like this? (http://www1.lightorama.com/commercial-light-controllers/).  I understand when they say, "channel" they are referring to a "channel" as seen in the S3 software.  But can four 16 channel controllers (for instance) be used, to create everything in the video?  The reason I ask is because those loops look to be controlled by more than AC on/off.

Question 3:  Those arches or leapers of light.  If they are just lights controlled by basically turning AC on/off/fade, are they likely custom lighting devices, or are there strings like that that can be purchased?

Example of one channel of an arch

279600=15507-2010-07-03%2022-57-46.972.j

Edited by KStatefan