Light-O-Rama Forums

need help with computer freeze up and inability to export sequences

seriouslylosingit

Ok, so here is the problem I am having.  First of all, since I upgraded to the advanced license, my computer freezes up frequently when I am trying to sequence.  I cannot close, save, nothing.. The only thing that allows me back into the program is to ctrl, alt, delete, and then close out of that window without selecting "end task"..  No clue..  Any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, I am having very inconsistent results with exporting sequences to my SD card for my mp3 director.  I have been "testing" specific songs to see how they look with my set up.  I have then rewritten the SD card for different songs to test.  What is happening is that I may want to use a song I had just written to the SD, but now it won't let me.  Says no media file...   Well, I know there is a media file because it just played 30 minutes ago..  I make sure everything is saved prior to saving to SD, so that is not the problem..  The first "show" I put on the card was 9 individual songs.  When I went back to add them again, 4 of those would not write to the SD...  Thoughts??

Super Frustrated....

Thanks

I know nothing about the director or its card. The computer however, I know a lot about them or I hope. Please tell us what you are using as in the processor, ram memory, available hard drive space, operating system. Do you use an active and updated antivirus software? What is your knowledge level with computers? Is it connected to the internet while you are editing?

OK First of all, I know little about computers other than how to turn one on and get to the internet... Now that we have that out of the way, I use an ASUS laptop with Windows 7 an intel core i5 processor, 4mb and I am always connected to the internet when I am trying to sequence...  Says I have 87.7 of 195gb free . Maybe it makes sense to you?? No idea what any of it means..  No clue on the antivirus software.. I know I have it, but not sure if it is up to date.. 

Thanks

What version of LOR software are you using?  Have you tried a different SD card?  Are you using Windows Safe ejecting for the SD card before you pull it?  Have you rebooted your computer?

Version is 3.11.2, I think?? That's what it says in the left corner.. The problem isn't when I remove the card, it is getting it to actually write to the card in the first place..  I always use "now safe to remove" option.  I have not tried another card, but have shut down my computer and still getting the same thing after the restart..

Thanks

From what you have told us your Asus should have no trouble running Light O Rama. A few things come to mind. A system restore may be very helpful. A re install of the Light O Rama software is a good idea too. Up grading your license has no effect on how your laptop runs. More likely the problem is with your OS. Have you de fragged your hard drive lately? That too would be in order. Just a few suggestions.

I've had similar issues when I have manipulated a significant number of events and channels in the Sequence Editor. 

There are a couple of things you can do:

Make more of the computers resources available to the Sequence Editor. 

This is done by applying the 4GB patch to the Sequence Editor.  I don't have a link handy for you but if you search the forum you will find multiple threads that describe the process.  Or you can wait for a few more responses and someone who is much more helpful than I will respond describing how to do it.

Secondly, try to minimize the resources required for the Sequence Editor. 

By default the editor is configured to save the last 50 changes you did so you can undo them.  You might want to reduce it to something like the last five or 10 changes to save resources.  To change the setting open the sequence editor, click on Edit -->  Undo Settings  Change the value from 50 to a smaller value and click OK.  It should help with the resource usage of the Sequence Editor.

I will give these things a try and see what happens.  I seemed to have better luck after I shut down and rebooted the computer..

Thanks

There are times when a glitch can happen and reboot is the only thing that puts it back to normal. I suggest that you run a test on the hard drive which you can do by opening the file manager window, select the C:/ Drive itself, right click on it, then select tools, then error check. It'll schedule it to be run the next time you reboot the computer which you should do then. Let it do its thing and when it completes, it'll reboot again. For some people, they think a computer should just run all the time and not be rebooted. I don't suggest this. Things happen and nothing is perfect, so I suggest rebooting once a day. Also, insure your antivirus is a decent one and keep it updated and run it on your machine at least once a week with a full scan. Another suggestion for anyone's machines who are on the internet...tell the internet options to delete the cookies and history every time you exit. This will help keep malware out by dumping the tracking cookies.

Also a good thing that never hurts to run against the system is Windows updates, Malware Bytes.org (Anti Malware...it usually finds things Antivirus does not) and a current Antivirus scan. I do use Microsoft Security Essentials because it is free and actually does a good job.

Kip

Also, never use McAfee AV...its totally worthless in my opinion. I couldn't begin to count all the infected machines I've worked on, all having McAfee. One thing I also do when I'm starting the show computer to run the show itself, I disconnect from the internet and after, I turn off the AV software. This prevents the AAV from examining each file that's opened, therefore on a large show file, this might stop things.